Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would NGK BKR5EIX-11 plugs be ok for 0.7 bar boost ?
These are the equivelant of the standard plugs. I've got a missfire problem under boost. The more I reduce the boost the less it missfires. Do I need colder plugs.

·
Tyne/Wear/Tees Arse Rep/Gtr Shop Rep
11,412 Posts
theres a few things it could be

order of easiest / cheapest

Regap your current plugs to 0.8m instead of 1.1 (assuming you havnt got a shot plug)

next Step i would head for the AFM give it a good blast with carb cleaner and leave ir over night somewhere at room temp.

Try an airfilter from someone elses skyline (normally this dosnt make a difference as when the go tits up it normal cause stalling at boost.

Try someone elses coil packs these are infamous for failing and as luck has it not cheap 9/10 this will be the problem

if its still the same i would look at getting a bigger fuel pump gtr or similar could be a touch of fuel starvation at high revs,

if its noneof the above then its a problem lol

·
Registered
212 Posts
Would NGK BKR5EIX-11 plugs be ok for 0.7 bar boost ?
These are the equivelant of the standard plugs. I've got a missfire problem under boost. The more I reduce the boost the less it missfires. Do I need colder plugs.
Hi mate,

Seems like you've got the wrong plugs, the BKR5EIX-11 are gapped at 1.1mm (hense the '-11' in the part number). If you get ones that are gapped at 0.8mm you should be fine. I'd go for the BKR7EIX's personally.

Where is essex are you anyway?

I've got a full working set of series 1 Coilpacks & a new unused set of Denso iridium plugs doing nothing.

If you like we can swap coilpacks (if you've got a series 1) & plugs etc & see if we can cure the misfire?

Dave

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi mate,

Seems like you've got the wrong plugs, the BKR5EIX-11 are gapped at 1.1mm (hense the '-11' in the part number). If you get ones that are gapped at 0.8mm you should be fine. I'd go for the BKR7EIX's personally.

Where is essex are you anyway?

I've got a full working set of series 1 Coilpacks & a new unused set of Denso iridium plugs doing nothing.

If you like we can swap coilpacks (if you've got a series 1) & plugs etc & see if we can cure the misfire?

Dave
Thanks Dave.
I'm at Woodham Ferrers, but the cars a 96 spec2.Would the coil packs be the same. Mine are in plastic jackets.I checked them at the weekend and they looked fine, but I know they could still be struggling.I also 'carefully' gapped the plugs to 0.8.
James.

·
Seasoned Member
21,588 Posts
the coil packs are different on the series 1 to the series 2, they dont fit, have you tried nathan at "gdasportcars" he is a trader and is in kent, he does a good deal on splitfire coil packs....or he will let you try a used set to see if thats yr problem.....worth a try....:cheers:

·
Registered
212 Posts
Thanks Dave.
I'm at Woodham Ferrers, but the cars a 96 spec2.Would the coil packs be the same. Mine are in plastic jackets.I checked them at the weekend and they looked fine, but I know they could still be struggling.I also 'carefully' gapped the plugs to 0.8.
James.
Thats a shame mate, the spec1 coil packs are different to the spec2's.

Also the main problem with the coil packs is the corrosion that builds up inside them, have a look at this thread.

http://www.skylineowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29342&highlight=coil+pack

The thing with the iridium plugs is that they are not designed to be regapped, also I think the BKR5EIX's are too hot a plug ( I may be wrong) but I would suggest using the BKR7EIX's instead.

The cheapest thing to try is do the coil pack refurb & see if that cures the problem.

Let me know how you get on :D

Dave

·
Registered
212 Posts
the coil packs are different on the series 1 to the series 2, they dont fit, have you tried nathan at "gdasportcars" he is a trader and is in kent, he does a good deal on splitfire coil packs....or he will let you try a used set to see if thats yr problem.....worth a try....:cheers:
Ahhhh! BigChief you're just too fast LOL :D

·
FORUM FARTER!!!!
2,255 Posts
hi f...g iv got a shop Woodham Ferrers come and see me iv go some series 2 coil packs my shop is timpsom ur see my car there

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
I don't understand why so many have problems gapping iridium plugs, I've done dozens without incident, indeed I guess I'm close to my century when it comes to gapping iridiums!

They are no different to any other plug other than the delicate centre electrode, and the idea is to miss that with the hammer by aiming for the outer electrode.

Seriously, use the correct tools for the job, excercise a little care and all will be well.

Aitch

1 - 14 of 14 Posts