Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car is missfiring so i aim to do the plugs. I have some splitfire coil packs coming tomorrow but am in a dilema as to which plugs and what gap i should use.

One person has told me not to consider anything except Greedy Iridum 8s (which he says will be gapped correctly).

Someone else said not to waste my money and get the cheaper NGK Iridum plugs.

And someone else said to buy the standard plugs from Nissan and regap them to 6mm.

Im confused :crazy:

I need help and advice please guys.

car spec as follows:
R33 GTST spec 1
full system exhaust, downpipe and decat
FMIC
Apexi filter
GTR fuel pump
Profec B boost controller

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
I recently Fitted the NGK Iridiums pre gapped, Never had a problem before with no firing untill I fitted them :( Only happens mid temp ( fine cold ?)once the car is at normal operating temp not a problem.

EDIT : I did get plugs rated for more horsepower than I am running, so that would explain why I get a misfire when at lower temp rather than normal running temp DOH !!!!

Which is fine because New ECU is on order ;)

The NGK iridiums will be fine as long as you get them rated to the horsepower you are currently running ;)

·
Registered
732 Posts
Im getting similar problems, I have been running NGK iridiums for the last year or more without a glitch, however when i changed my exhaust from standard to full S/S i got missfiring at the upper rev range. Toke the plugs out, cleaned them, carefully regapped them and dealt with the coil packs too, and it was ok except a loss of power above 5.5k rpm, and after a while they started missfiring again, toke them out, cleaned them, broke two tips off them and was screwed !

Put standards back in for now and i get a total cut out at full throtle between 4-7 rpm ....

Now i dont know what plugs to go for either.... , it only toke about 4 weeks before my iridiums started getting choked up it seems, but then i dont have an SAFC or anything like that.

On a side note, anyone want to help us find a good place to go for the right plugs ? And i need splitfire coil packs ...and new ECU and....arg...

All the best with your plug hunt and fittment ! DONT regap them !!! It says so on the pack, they are soooo fragile....

·
Registered
5,311 Posts
Im getting similar problems, I have been running NGK iridiums for the last year or more without a glitch, however when i changed my exhaust from standard to full S/S i got missfiring at the upper rev range. Toke the plugs out, cleaned them, carefully regapped them and dealt with the coil packs too, and it was ok except a loss of power above 5.5k rpm, and after a while they started missfiring again, toke them out, cleaned them, broke two tips off them and was screwed !

Put standards back in for now and i get a total cut out at full throtle between 4-7 rpm ....

Now i dont know what plugs to go for either.... , it only toke about 4 weeks before my iridiums started getting choked up it seems, but then i dont have an SAFC or anything like that.

On a side note, anyone want to help us find a good place to go for the right plugs ? And i need splitfire coil packs ...and new ECU and....arg...

All the best with your plug hunt and fittment ! DONT regap them !!! It says so on the pack, they are soooo fragile....

I got my coil packs from nengun, took a week to get here.

Get the plugs from rising sun, I got mine off fleabay for similar price NGK 7's.

:grinno:

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
NGK everytime. i wouldnt use anything else. Ive been using them in all my cars for years without the slightest problem

Ive heard the rumours about Denso tips falling off etc..(arent Greedy, HKS etc plugs just rebadged Denso's???) i even advised my mate of this before he went and bought some for his GTS-t. The tip failed and he had to get the engine rebuilt... :uhoh:

·
Registered
8,411 Posts
Go for the NGK Iridiums. For your mods heatrange 7 will be fine cause this is already 2 steps colder than stock heatrange for your car! If you gonna use Splitfire coilpacks you don´t need to run the ones with smaller gap. Just go for stock gap which is 1.1mm . It will be fine.

And yes, HKS plugs are nothing else as Denso plugs (with a nice HKS label on it) which are known for their breaking-off-ceramic-issue. Only difference: you´ll be paying a hell more money for the HKS ones!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts