1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lewis has got an MBE

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7934272.stm

one question.. ?? WHY ??!?

I was behind Lewis all the way on his bid to win the championship.. even went to Silverstone to cheer him on..

but seriously.. why does winning the F1 title get you an MBE?

Is it cos 'e is black' ?? thats meant as a serious question.. are they giving him the MBE because hes the first Black person to win the title..?
If so, if thats not racism i dont know what is!
Positive racism it may be, but its still singling him out for the colour of his skin..

I just hate all the PC BS..
Theyre just using Lewis as the token UK Obhama.. "see theres no racism in the UK, look we just gave Lewis an MBE so there cant be!"

·
Registered
162 Posts
dunno i think it was well deserved, he started young and has worked hard, even in the f1 seen. alonso was a c**k in his first season and he had loads of what i think were unfair penalties. i think the stuards were on the farrari payroll!!!.

i think if it had been a white person in his situation (starting young and working his way up to f1 fast, winning the title after his second season) he would still get the MBE.

the man is a legend in my opinion!!

·
Registered
134 Posts
dunno i think it was well deserved, he started young and has worked hard, even in the f1 seen. alonso was a c**k in his first season and he had loads of what i think were unfair penalties. i think the stuards were on the farrari payroll!!!.

i think if it had been a white person in his situation (starting young and working his way up to f1 fast, winning the title after his second season) he would still get the MBE.

the man is a legend in my opinion!!
Here, here. Well said.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I think the more important question is why are we giving out MBE's to sports personalities in the first place? It's as bad as knighting bankers.

The founders of these titles must be rolling in their graves knowing they're being given away to people like this. They were intended for knights and gentlemen, those that serve in armed forces or creating fine arts should be getting these prestigious positions, not entertainers.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
exactly thats the point i was trying to make..

Im glad he won the F1 title, i wanted him to, he deserved it.
but what does that have to do with getting an MBE?

I always remember as a child, my neighbour (Retired Group Captain in the RAF) had an OBE and my dad used to say it stood for "Others Bloody Effort" where as MBE stood for "My Bloody Effort"..
I fail to see how having the backing of Mclaren since a little boy, and then being given the best car should result in an MBE after just 2years at top level.

Yes i think he's a fantastic driver,, but i just think its just being used as a attempted showcase to show 'how well we treat black people in this country' tbh.

·
Jammy Git
2,180 Posts
I think it's a tad to early for him after all (as has been said) where does he go from here as he has so much promise.

However buy (intended pun) comparison to others much less deserving Hamilton has worked most of his life towards this not incosiderable task and is a superb role model to everyone not just to young Blacks. Christ I'm white and 40 and he's my hero!

So I think he deserves it :)

·
Jammy Git
2,180 Posts
**** he should be Knighted just for having Nicole Sherzinger (spelling!?!) as his girlfriend! :drool:

·
Registered
162 Posts
ok maybe its a tad early to get a MBE but can any of you say you wouldnt want to b in his shoes!!!!

its not just the f1 he has won quickly though, gp1 was won in his first season i think?

·
Registered
4,921 Posts
lewis

god knows what they would have gave him if he won it without that other driver pulling over at the last bend??:crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy:

·
White/carbon r34
1,051 Posts
well they probably have a black to white quota they have to fill out, a 3:1 ratio and he was to help balance figures out.
just like the firebrigade that i have spent years applying for but my mate tried and put mixed race then took him on straight away.
like the ethnic only police recruitment they had.

stop tip toeing around all this, we all know the answer but few have the balls to say it.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I dont believe he should have got that title.. fully agree with Rich..

p.s. he stands to gain around 500 million pounds by winning that championship... who needs an MBE?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts