Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
'NISMO' 350GT
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning all - does anyone have any recommendations for car cleaner/polish for our GTs?

Also, I get a LOT of brake dust, so would like to know what peeps use to safely clean their alloys; don't want anything that wil mark the wheels obviously.

Ta muchly, in advance :)

·
Highland/North Scotland Area Rep
4,160 Posts
Loads of good products on the market now, I use a lot of the auto finesse range for loads of things on the 350gt..

Polish depends on if you want to clean up and remove swirls etc, I use 3m three stage stuff for most cars I do using three stages of hex pads on a da polisher but you don't need to spend anything like that too get a decent polish etc

Power maxed do a good overall range which includes a decent wheel cleaner not that you need it much if you keep them clean and wax them with a wheel wax like auto finesse mint rims..

Paintwork wax I use auto finesse waxes "yes I like the whole range" illusion is a show wax which lasts a few months and I love it, easy to use...

·
Registered
449 Posts
Ok i have to agree with the auto finesse stuff being very good, thats the stuff that was used on my car thats in the other thread youve posted on. Its good stuff.

Ok so you asked what products:

Auto finesse and meguiars are both good. If you have swirls or your paint isnt as vibrant as it should be then clean the car with shampoo and dry it, then get whats known as a clay bar, its literally a piece of like refined clay, you rub it with something called clay lube over all of the paint, it drags any dirt and stuff thats embedded into your paint. Once thats done, go over it with (i suggest a finishing polish) its a polish that has a slight more abrassiveness to it to smooth out the clear layer of your paint to remove any imperfections, this will put a shine back into your paint.

Once you have done polishing, the now smooth clear coat needs protecting, you dont have to but you can apply a sealant like what auto finesse do. If you dont want to spend money on that, then get a wax to put on the car instead. This will keep your clear coat protected, paste wax is best, liquid buttery like wax is good just doesnt usually last quite as long and spray on wax is good for keeping your wax layer up

Again: best products for me are auto finesse and meguiars. Meguiars is bit cheaper generally

·
Highland/North Scotland Area Rep
4,160 Posts
Agree with the above ..

Clean with wash mits never a sponge,and if you can use two buckets, one with soapy water and one to rinse.
For clay bar soapy water will do the same as a clay lube and it's cheaper, Clay bars are good but you can use a spray like autosmarts tardis which very nearly totally cuts the need to clay bar.
Polish
Wax or sealant or both.
Enjoy !!!

Worth having a look at the monthly packs of samples from the The WaxPack - The monthly detailing & car care samples box! some really good stuff in the packs at a good price.

Oh and they have the best spray car air fresheners.. Battenberg cake is so nice and that comes from someone who totally hates smelly crap stuff.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Cool link! Might have to try that! Just to see what there is to offer

Holy crud! Battenberg sounds ace!!!

If you have bad lingering smells you cant get rid of then apparently meguiars air bombs are good, they clean out the fabrics and the air con system of all odurs, i have one just not used it yet

·
'NISMO' 350GT
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks guys, spot on advice. I don't have swirls as far as I can see; the car was resprayed in the last year or so, hence the two tone I have. Just a matter of finding good products as above, to protect what I have :)

·
'NISMO' 350GT
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
so what is a good general Auto Finesse polish, and wax? and where is the best place to get hold of them? I have a show to attend in 4 weeks so need the car looking presentable :)

·
Registered
449 Posts
Ok so you said ur paints in good condition so you would probably need a general polish like this:
Tripple | All In One Cleaner and Polish | Auto Finesse®

I used that to finish off my car,

Then to wax you want either a sealant like this:

Power Seal, Paint Sealant

This give a coat of protection that you can add wax onto to give a good protected finish

And then a wax like a paste wax by meguiars like this:

Hi-Tech Yellow Paste Wax 311g

This willgive a good thick protective layer that should last and then

For when your at the show you can get a spray wax and a detailing spray or just the detailing spray (depends if you wana top up the wax layer) to get it looking good

When applying wax use a foam pad like:

PHD - Foam Applicator Pad ? Petrol Head Detailing Ltd

For autofinesse stuff go direct to their site, for meguiars apparently amazon and ebay are good but you could try also direct. And for applicators and MICROFIBRE clothes you can get anywhere.

Any alternatives or other tips just ask

1 - 13 of 13 Posts