Skyline Owners Forum banner

Should you de-cat a skyline for performance ?

• Yes

Votes: 13 76.5%
  • No

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Not sure

Votes: 1 5.9%

• Total voters
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

For a bit of fun... Should you de-cat a Skyline to improve performance...

Discuss :)

·
Registered
180 Posts
my cat on a previous car caused performance issues (suffocated shall we say) and once removed it made a massive difference

·
Seasoned Member
9,055 Posts
*NO, if you upgrade your exhaust system then you should upgrade to a sports cat, its why companies make them.

Yes, if you want to increase horsepower and torque whilst reducing backpressure, heat soak and detonation on a tuned vehicle.

*Only if you don't have a trusted MOT tester :)

·
East Ireland Area Rep
6,701 Posts
stock cat(once in good shape) is good up to around 450bhp ish. after that it creates a bottle neck. I find if i put in a decat/sports cat, the car just overfuels and runs like crap. even with remappable ecu. put my stock cat back in.

the heat will kill it though so launch control etc

·
Registered
565 Posts
De cat on mine.
Did a de cat as thought that was the thing to do to get more power.
I also did it to preserve the life of the cat.
Seems a bit loud now so considering a silent de cat.
Think the poll should say have you not should you.

·
"A Skyline with 4 doors?"
380 Posts
My old one was decatted. This was despite after having been to cities that have smog issues and other environmental issues. But when a saw an article in Option magazine that showed the very small power difference of a car tested with no cat versus a sports high flow cat I changed my mind when building my current one. High flow cat for me.

·
East Ireland Area Rep
6,701 Posts
My old one was decatted. This was despite after having been to cities that have smog issues and other environmental issues. But when a saw an article in Option magazine that showed the very small power difference of a car tested with no cat versus a sports high flow cat I changed my mind when building my current one. High flow cat for me.
What sports cat did you go for in the end?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts