Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've recently dumped my cat and back box and I'm now having great fun mastering the art of getting her to pop and bang on command.

I would be better equipped to do this if I knew the technical reason why this occurs.

I have a feeling it's excess fuel being dumped down the exhaust and combusting.....but I may be wrong.

Plus is it likely that I get some flameage when she pops?

·
Registered
303 Posts
Yes it's dumped fuel in the exhaust that pops. You'll find this is very visible when you hit the limiter.

You may well get flames, depends when in the pipe it combusts and how far that is from the tailpipe. The colour of the flames varies depending on the amount of air (oxygen) present during combustion. It may be yellow, but can be blue and not easy to see until it's dark.

·
M's Factory
5,240 Posts
The red hot turbo will assist the flames coming out, turbo cars flame more because the petrol that is dumped gets ignited by the hot gasses passing through the hot turbo.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
flames are just an added bonus.

So is it a sudden throttle lift which causes fuel to be dumped through the exhaust

·
M's Factory
5,240 Posts
depends on when your fuel map lifts off and if you time it with when your injectors just sprayed their meaningful lives away into the cylinders and you lift off, it all gets dumped instead of sparked.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts