Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ordered some CRN grooved front discs as I received an advisory for excessive vibration under braking on my MOT and I was told the discs might be warped. Since then I've been looking for information on which way to fit them, i.e / or \ and it appears that \ is the "correct" way as it's less "aggressive" than /.

So no prizes for guessing which way my current discs are fitted. Yep, /. So the vibration could simply be cured by changing my / to \ and the discs might be fine. :spank:

Guess I should have done some research before reaching for my wallet. :Uzi:

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yeah but that wouldn't cause the wheel to wobble when breaking
It's not the wheel that wobbles, it's just very bad vibration through the brake pedal. I guess it's better to be safe than sorry though. :)

Just been reading through this guide to brake vibration and the myth of warped discs,

http://www.powerbrake.co.za/downloads/tech_01_judder.pdf

and, given the state the rest of the car was in when I bought it, I can well believe that the discs and pads were not properly bedded in after being fitted. :spank:

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If the peddle is moving up and down under breaking then i'd be inclinded to do disc and pad change anyway. somethings warped
That's the plan now. I might swap the o/s and n/s discs before fitting the new ones just to check my theory about rotation direction though.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I dont understand how that can show up on a normal MOT. They only check for visible brake condition and braking force/balance as a percentage. Am I missing something, could someone explain how this can fail a Mot?

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I dont understand how that can show up on a normal MOT. They only check for visible brake condition and braking force/balance as a percentage. Am I missing something, could someone explain how this can fail a Mot?
According to the MOT manual (3.7.b.1c)

http://www.ukmot.com/3-7.asp

b. Evidence of severe brake grabbing or judder as the brake is applied.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
I've been looking for information on which way to fit them, i.e / or \ and it appears that \ is the "correct" way as it's less "aggressive" than /.

So no prizes for guessing which way my current discs are fitted. Yep, /. So the vibration could simply be cured by changing my / to \ and the discs might be fine. :spank:
Probably best to read this first mate before deciding that \ is correct and not / :):-

http://www.skylineowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=172741&highlight=vanes

·
Administrator
25,962 Posts
How would you test for that on a car with ABS? don't ABS breaking systems cause the peddle to 'judder'?
abs only works when all 4 wheels are rotating and the roller brake tester doesnt activate the abs

1 - 13 of 13 Posts