Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, my name is Alex and I am from the U.S. I have been perusing this site as a guest for the last week or so and I now have some questions. First off, I might be purchasing a 1993 R32 GTS-T that is legally registered in the U.S. The body has 97,xxxkm and the engine has 20,000km. The body has some damage but the guy says that his mechanic evaluated the car and says it could be repaired and repainted for about $1,700. The guy's low selling point would be 16k...<--Seems cheap to me. He says that there is no evidence of it being in a wreck and it has minor modifications. My questions are: 1) Does this seem like a good deal? 2) Is there much support for the GTS-T motor and R32 body/chassis (I'm in the states so parts are not readily available and everything I see seems to be for the GT-R)? 3) What else should I ask about (I've already read the "inquiring buyers" thread)?

Thanks for reading the long post and I look forward to joining this elite club.

Cliffnotes:
Might be buying an R32; need help!

·
Registered
684 Posts
Hey there. The price...... uh well. That sort of depends. Is the car Motorexed? Does it have the right ID tags(i.e. DOT/EPA)? There are a lot of factors on price of skylines in the states. What modifications does the car have? I do know a few guys that are current owners of GTS-T's in the US, and there is support for them. Throw up some pics of the car and that may give the members a little better of an idea. 16g's is a bit steep in my opinion. But, if you want a skyline in the states you may have to spend a bit more.

·
Seasoned Member
21,588 Posts
hi alex welcome mate, we will do our best to help you out as said post up some pics so we have a better idea, also we can get just about any part yr ever need and we will post them direct to you, so get rid of that scooby and get the skyline smile mate, keith

·
Ex Skylineowner
3,444 Posts
$16000=£8000? For a 32GTST!?! You can pick up reasonably clean unmodified over here for about a quarter of that. Like the cheif says though, you should manage to get all the parts you will ever need through the traders on here and also shipped from japan. Welcome by the way! :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
$16000=£8000? For a 32GTST!?! You can pick up reasonably clean unmodified over here for about a quarter of that. Like the cheif says though, you should manage to get all the parts you will ever need through the traders on here and also shipped from japan. Welcome by the way! :)

Yeah, the pricing over here is a LOT different because LEGAL Skylines are so rare.
My computer crashed and now I am running on an older version so I am unable to link pics. However, if you take a look at the website "VTrides.com" and look up user "LRM1981," that is the car. I appreciate your guys' help but getting rid of the STi is tough. I LOVE IT!!
I called the DMV and they said they will treat it like the bringing of any other car into California since it is already a legal U.S. title. The first thing I would have to do is get some crappy exhaust fabbed up with a cat in it so that I can pass smog testing. After that, I need a nice new front bumper, the one now is damaged and I figure it cheaper to find a nice aftermarket piece. Any ideas?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I checked it out. A pretty decent looking 32. Where abouts in cali are you? I have a cat here in Oregon. I live close to the border. Got a few extra skyline parts as well.
I'm in Sacramento. You are probably not TOO far away.
I tried calling the guy today but he didn't answer. He also sent me some pics of the damage, but I will have him get it fixed first, if this goes through.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Its about a 5 hour drive. Not too bad. Let me know if you need anything.
Actually, the car is coming with a Nismo exhaust system and I am going to need a catalytic converter. If you have one, or the whole exhaust for that matter, I would only need it to pass smog...name your price.
Okay, I am going to pay 17k for the R32 but he is going to get all the dents removed and the entire car is going to be repainted. The front bumper will still be kinda messed up and there is curb rash on the passenger rear rim, but that can be filed and repainted. All we have to work out is the what price and mods he will get with my car, get loans, and voila, it's done! I'm so excited, within the month, I should own a Skyline!!:bigthumb:

·
Registered
684 Posts
Good move, I got my Skyline, which is still in the process of being put together, but also got a daily driver, a 97 integra. For my job I have to travel a bit. Had to have something that was easy on the insurance and gas. I am excited for ya.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Alright guys, it isn't going to happen. I am too worried about the California Car-Nazis not letting it become legal. I also was afraid of having no airbags, and a 14 year old car that may need replacement parts that are somewhat difficult to procure. I am completely bummed but I love my '05 STi and although the financial freedom would have been awesome (lower car and insurance payments) I just could not justify it. If it had been a GT-R, I'd of pulled the trigger but I'm a wuss. I also would of had to drive all the way to Vermont and back to do this switch and didn't like that idea. This sucks, but I think it is the right decision, right now anyway. Thank you guys for being so hospitable, especially Broph99 (I'll see your car one day), and maybe one day in the future I may be on here again.

·
Registered
684 Posts
No problem, I went through some major hoops to get my car, along with alot of other members here. Cali has got some pretty stiff laws. I have seen some other cars for sale in California already passed smog, and other legalities. I am sure if you are patient you will find the right one.

Todd

1 - 15 of 15 Posts