Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Peppered schlong
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having read untold threads on Splitfires, I thought this would be the most logical DIY modification to do next.
Having just got my car back from my tuner they informed me that I shouldn't change the coilpacks without having my Power fc tweaked. The reason being the Splitfires have a lower resistance to the standard ones and will ultimately cause damage to the Power fc and possibly fry it, he also mentioned something to do with the duty cycle.
Has anybody else heard this or found they have had problems when changing to Splitfires?

Regs
Rixter

·
Peppered schlong
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Having thought about it , it sort of makes sense as the coilpacks are driven electronically and to alter the resistance of that circuit will have some sort of effect, be it good or bad?

·
Peppered schlong
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I can see what you are saying about standard ecu's, but I have a Power fc and as do many of us!
The engineer explained the duration (cycle) of the spark doesn't need to be as long as the standard coilpacks require!
They have been tuning Skylines and other jap imports for years, and have never fed me any nonsense in the past, seems a bit strange that they would start now!

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
If im not mistaken it doesnt matter what engine speed the spark only lasts a certain length of time that never changes, when this guy says the duration (cycle) i think he means the injection as they change the duration the stay open depending on the engine speed/load.

·
Peppered schlong
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So it's safe for me to change my stadard coil packs to Splitfires? and this will cause no damage to my Power fc and it won't need a tweak or re-map?

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Changing the coils is safe and no re-map is needed.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
To talk about "cycles" in relation to ignition components in this way is odd, the spark duration is unchanged regardles of the driver system deployed, as it's keyed to engine timing. The only thing which varies is the frequency which changes with RPM, duration is unaffected to all intents and purposes.

I can see that some control devices may require or rely on feedback, and reducing terminal resistance may affect them to a small degree. However if they can be so affected I would expect them to have built in automatic compensation circuitry, as coils and plugs can vary significantly out of the box let alone under use where temperatures vary hugely.

I suppose if you want to split hairs it may have benefits to retune after fitting such items, but I suspect any benefits are negligible.

Aitch

·
Peppered schlong
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I see what you are saying Aitch and you clearly know what you are talking about, and I'm confused over this cycle duration business and maybe he was refering to something else.
I have read on some other thread that there is quite a difference in resistance from the standard coil packs compared to the Splitfires (almost 0 ohms), and a variation to resistance in any electronic circuit will have an effect!
Does anybody on here map power fc's? that might be able to shed anymore light on the subject?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts