Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Track addict
4,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right having just finished my engine rebuild, and chomping at the bit to get it fired up and ran in, there is a few things i would like advice on before i do so.
The rebuilding of the engine was straightforward, but i don't want to make an arse of the initiall set up and run in, and undo all my hard work, as this to me is the crutial point.

1, I'm going to run a set of 740cc injectors, fed by a fuel pump from a 300zx tt, running through a tomei fuel pressure regulator (The one that fits in the o.e position incase there's a few types). The fuel pressure adjustment bolt is set (as i got it) approx 1 inch from the body of the regulator, is this a std default setting? will this be ok to use as it is set now? I was going to fit an in line fuel pressure gauge to check everything was fine before i started fiddling about, where should i tee it into? What pressure should i set it at for running in? should my adjustments be made at idle or a certain rev point?
I have a power fc which is reset to the base map, i have read the guide to alter injector duty to suit my new 740's, but does anyone have a idiots guide to altering it (for my benefit lol) . The last thing i want is for it to be throwing buckets of fuel in and end up borewashing the engine! nor do i want it too lean (reason for rebuild in the 1st place)

2, What should the ign timing be set at for running in, i was going to set it at 12 deg btdc would this be ok?

3, As for the running in itself , having read an article which i think t.f.s posted up, i intended on setting the rev limit to 4k, set boost to about .4 to .5 bar, Then within the 1st 20 miles or so apply bursts of wide open throttle in the higher gears up to my set rev limit. Then change the oil and filter, then drive as normal (up to 4k) till about 500 miles then change oil again and raise the rev limit to maybe 5.5k?. then run up to the 1000 miles like that. What are peoples views on this as i have read conflicting methods of running in procedures.

Sorry for the very long post but it is at the stage now where its about ready to start up, and i want to make sure i do things properly as imo this is the make or break time for the whole thing.

Thanks in advance.

·
AKA RSP
4,762 Posts
Hi Chris,

Fuel pressure should be set at 3bar with the vacum feed removed. Tee into the fuel filter outlet to check the pressure.

Fuel injector wise set it to 51% and 0.006ms which will make is a little richer for running in until you get it mapped.

If you get stuck I can give you a call tommorow. You should have come brought your ecu with you when you come down and I would have put a base map in there for you.

Richard

·
Track addict
4,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers for that richard, if i had known i would have brought it with me. I wanted a word anyway with you but saw you were busy.
it is on the base map at present, but i will give you a call if, or rather when i get stuck!

Should the fuel pressure be 3 bar @ idle? and is the vac pipe you mention the little one going to the regulator itself.

Thanks again for the advice, will be in touch.

Oh and could you pass my thanks on to damo for sorting my bearings out.

:bigthumb:

·
AKA RSP
4,762 Posts
Yes at idle with the vac pipe to the regulator off.

If you were not so far away I would say bring it down when its run in and we can map it for you.

Make sure you get oil pressure before you try firing it too :)

Richard

·
Track addict
4,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
oh yes getting the oil round was the main priority.

I havent decided whos gonna map it up yet, so i may well be coming to see you yet.

I will be in touch with regards setting up the inj duty.

Thanks richard.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts