Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had a mate have a go at bringing back my paint today, i left my car under a car cover outside for quite a while and it ruined the paint!!

NEVER USE CAR COVERS OUTSIDE!!!!!!

So we jet washed, hand washed with mits and 2 buckets, rinsed, then clay barred the car, washed down again and then dried it off ready for polishing with a cutting polish by mcguiars,

The picture ive attached is of the bonnet bee taped off and half of it being done, the difference is astonishing, ill have more pictures tomorrow hopefully,

The aim is to get it a bit closer to where i want it ready for japfest in a couple of weeks

Got a few other bits i am preping like an oem steering wheel with cruise control and volume control etc on it, im painting the buttons atm

Ill have some more pics soon though

Attachments

·
Seasoned Member
4,032 Posts
what type of car cover was it? i see mine blistered the lacquer

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ye the patience is one thing you need but i kind of enjoy things like that, if i can see a car end up spotless its satisfying!!

The cover was a cotton lined one from halfords, breathable one but the cotton lining rubbed up against the paint and was obviously not soft enough and ruined the clear coat over time so now its just a matter of bringing all the scratches out of the clear coat and seal it and wax it

·
Registered
127 Posts
Looks spot on bud, like that a lot! I haven't seen this yet, love the spoiler and what you've done with the rear lights. Are they covers of some sort?

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
To be honest its mostly like it was when i bought it, the spoiler has a few paint defects on it and the covers im not actually a fan of personally but ill keep it like that for now, if you go to japfest you should see it! :)

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks! It took about 12 hours to clean it, the covers arent as flush as they look, they are a piece of acrylic that stands a bit off the lights, not as stylish as they should be

·
Registered
761 Posts
Great transformation!

I'm guessing the cover wasn't a tailored fit with under belly straps to stop the cover moving about in the wind which I'm guessing is the cause of the rubbing that ruined your paint?

·
Highland/North Scotland Area Rep
4,159 Posts
Looking good, bugger much clay barring thou, I used to do loads and then I found autosmarts tardis it's crazy how much it cuts clay bar work down.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ye thats it!! I am never going back to a cover, hopefully in the next year ill be moving into a new house with a garage to store it in anyway, and whats autosmarts tardis?

·
Highland/North Scotland Area Rep
4,159 Posts
It's a spray On tar and crap remover, removes old waxes etc too, great stuff so not much clay bar work to do after it works it's wonders. Just don't put it near freshly sprayed paint thou...

1 - 20 of 39 Posts