Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...does anyone know if there is a way of telling the following two things without removing the turbos?

1) Can I find out wether the internals have been changed to steelies?

2) Can I find out whether they are the standard size turbos for the GTR or if they've been changed?

I ask these questions because a couple of people have looked at the way the car is set up, boost pipes etc in the engine and the Meines chip that's in it, and suggested at one time it was probably running quite large bhp compared to the 370ish bhp that it runs now. Mark from Abbey also suggested that from the look of it the engine has been re-built so is it possible to see the headgasket without taking off the head etc? On my old MkIII Supra you could litterally see the edges of the Head Gasket sticking out from the side of the head and block. It's really starting to bug me now because something about the car doesn't feel right. It's almost as if the car is just not performing to it's full potential and as most of my school reports suggested it could do ALOT better.

Before I bought the car the garage had advertised the car as being over 500bhp. My mate went to have a look before me and set them straight on afew things like normal size injectors etc but they said the guy who sold it to them said it was heavily tuned. This combined with the above makes me think that maybe some of the obvious mods were removed in order to sell it or in order to sell the mods for more money but some were left in there like the turbos and head gasket etc. Please help I feel stupid.

·
M's Factory
5,240 Posts
is that a MINES chip ? but for some kind of DNA problem ?

1) Unless you remove the turbos you will never be sure. You could run them high but then thats a bit pricey way of dealing with it if things go wrong.

2) So by this you know the size of them already ????? If so then tell us then we can compare them to standard Turbos.

Dont feel stupid, learn by asking questions and then make a decision on what you want to do then.

·
M's Factory
5,240 Posts
pay up then !

·
Banned
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Erm how do I find out the size of them? Or would they have to be removed to find that out too? And yes a Mines chip not Meines. lol

I have a feeling it may have agressive cams in too as it seems to idle abit rougher than afew others I've seen and when reved gets quite violent. lol

·
Bullet Tooth Tony
3,068 Posts
you could take the cam covers off and look for obvious signs of markings HKS etc etc and also if its got different cams surely it would have vernier pulleys ??

·
Registered
796 Posts
LOL @ Buster. Is he referring to the pastime of 'touch willys':D

Seriously though, I heard that the timing needs altering for the cams so if the adjuster on the front of cambelt cover is in the standard place (check sweeps car), then it has not got cams.

My car has steel inners but there is no way I would know if I had not been told by the previous owner.
It is quite common to 'downgrade' the car to sell it. My car was advertised at 350bhp but I made 422 on the dyno. I was attracted to the advert as it did not look too modified compared to the 450/500bhp beasts ;)
Two years later and I want 500bhp +:)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Cams

Best way with cams is to take them out and measure them (a tuner should be able do this quite easily). My cams in my old GT-R where HKS Step 1's but I didn't find this out until the cams came out and Rod measured them - there where no markings etc on the cams to state that they were aftermarket.

Talat.

·
Banned
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys. Sweeps I may take you up on that offer when I've got the petrol money to leave my driveway. lol Got an interview tomorrow and another on Thursday. The one on Thursday is the one I want as it pushes my career a little further. Instead of being the in-house engineer I would now be the 1st line engineer on the other end of the phone that the in-house guy calls when he can't handle the problem. Anyway if I get it then I'll defo come see you anyway mate. I like to see other R32 GTRs.

·
Banned
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah you can always rely on buster to lighten the mood of ANY situation. Even his own weekend break to the gravel trap. hehe

·
M's Factory
5,240 Posts
take off your cam cover ( front & top ) yes its a bit of work.

Have a look at the cams themselves and if they say nissan Id say they were standard, if they have tomei or HKS etc then they are aftermarket.

·
Banned
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If they say NISMO I'll just take a pic of myself with a HUGE grin on my face and post it on here. lol

·
Dirty Torquer
113 Posts
take off your downpipes and with a small mirror you can look up into the turbos to see if they have been done steel by the nut holding the impeller on plus the impellers themselves.looked like regular housings when i looked at them anyway as i did look over the engine as much i could. id be surprised mate if it was built for high power since it is missing many other parts that go hand in hand for running more ponies. still she is not standard and has a respectable kick in the arse when it does go. have heard some say that the wastegates sound bit quieter from steel internal ones compared to ceramic standards...have heard it myself a bit but is still down to a matter of opinion of what you call loud or relatively quiet. as for seeing if you have different cams...looking at the amount of vacuum drawn on idle can give you an indication as if they are standard or not. standard vac is round -500 to 600 while longer duration cams will draw less even more so when they have been adjusted too.

then again someone else could come along and pick at everything i have just said and say i am wrong....not saying im fully right and an expert...just giving my bit of info in like everyone does anyway ;)

·
Banned
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
lol dude you were there when I bought the car so you'd have a better idea than most I reckon. Just can't afford to use the phone at the moment. lol

·
"A Skyline with 4 doors?"
380 Posts
Well, everyone's right about finding out if your turbo's got steel inside. You'd have to take it apart. As for if they are the right types, if I remember right the stock turbos should have Garrett T28 molded into the compressor housing. Granted, it could have the a different compressor spool installed, but very few go that route because it's not enough of a power upgrade.

As for the cams, you'll probably only know by measuring them. None of the cams (stock, HKS, Tomei, etc.) have anything written on them. And the pulley isn't a give away either, you can mix any of the cams and pulleys (stock or otherwise). Most Japanese tuners mix and match the cams and pulley to suit their requirements (usually the cam) and their budget (the pulley).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts