Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everybody,

I'm a French owner of an R33 GTST, imported from Japan. I use it for drifting competitions in Europe.
I've just joined this forum because I need help, and since the Skyline has never been imported in France, I can't unfortunately find anyone around me to help :(

The engine has a problem when driving at wide open throttle (WOT), let me explain. I can accelerate at WOT from 0 to 120 mph 2 or 3 times, the car will run perfectly whatever the boost pressure (stock setting or 1 bar). After that, I think it becomes too hot and the problem begins : acceleration is fine up to 5000 rpm, then boost pressure will drop, acceleration is reduced up to 5500 rpm. Then acceleration is fine again for ~500 rpm, and falls down for ~500 more rpm, and so on.
This phenomenon occurs whatever boost pressure I run, even stock settings.

I guess knock occurs, so my ecu will reduce the timing which makes the car slower for a second or two. I checked many things, but I don't understand why knock occurs !

- fuel pump is ok (300 liters/hour)
- turbo is ok
- no oil consumption
- I installed an air fuel monitor and the ratio reads 11.5 at high rpm's, is that too lean even for stock boost ?

My next checks will be ecu swap, timing belt checking and replacement. Maybe an injector is dead ? Maybe knock sensors are just going crazy ?

Thank you in advance for any help !:wave::wave::wave:

·
Registered
572 Posts
first off, welcome to the site bud :) If i had to hazard a guess at whats happening here buddy i would say that (if your running standard coils) the coilpack is breaking up due to the excess generation of heat. This is a common problem with these cars, rising sun performance do an uprated set (trader on here) and splitfires are the best alternatives. This problem usally occurs 4500-5000 rpm so this could just be the start of it. As for the fuel mixture, it sounds pretty spot on. Could do with a bit leaner if tuned correctly (around 12-12.5) but nothing wrong with keeping it that little bit safe.
oh forgot to say, try driving it all the way through the rev range on light throttle, if it doesnt hesitate its more than likely the coils. Thats my advice anyway, hope it helps

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your post Stevie.

I did not think about the coils, indeed they may be guilty. I'll check this tonight and let you know ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts