Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, after doing extensive research I couldn't find a solution for this. So the gauge cluster (or speedo) in my 1998 HR34 doesn't always work.. in the sense of if I go over a speed bump the RPM's gauge, the KPH gauge and the engine temp gauge just stop working, but my fuel gauge still works and it still keeps track of the miles. But when I go over another bump it all comes back to life. Any solutions? It's not a fuse, the fuse is fine. Maybe it's the connection from the pin in the back to the speedo itself? Could I possibly have to solder something? Any help would be much appreciated, this problem is driving me nuts.

·
2,460 Posts
The fuel gauge will be cutting out too but when theres no power the needle normally stays in its "reading" position. Loom connection's seems the most likely culprit.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the offer StuartTheFish, but I live all the way in Germany. And I actually didn't even pay attention to the oil pressure gauge so next time it gets taken out I'll let you guys know. Thanks for the insight guys! I'll take it apart today or tomorrow to see if I can locate any loose connections.

·
2,460 Posts
If its just the speedo then you may need to check at the speed sensor end. When mine went it died altogether not just intermittent. New sensor cured it though.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If its just the speedo then you may need to check at the speed sensor end. When mine went it died altogether not just intermittent. New sensor cured it though.

Thanks for the suggestion man! Where would you suggest to be a good place to get them online?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
You said it wasn't just the speedo?
Correct, it's the Speedo, RPM's gauge and temp gauge. I don't know if it's the oil pressure gauge because I wasn't paying attention to it. Tomorrow I'll take a video of it and post it here, it would be easier than trying to explain it lol

·
2,460 Posts
another thing to check is the little screws that hold the gauges to the back of the pod. if a previous owner has had it in bits then they could be loose.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'll definitely check that too locksmith, thanks :D and Balloo2u, not really. Mine cuts out completely when I hit a bump and then it will come back on when I hit another bump lol

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Had that when I removed the dash, loose earth, RSP sorted it out when they fitted the new ECU.
So it's probably a loose earth then, I'm going to go take it out for the first time right now and check for loose connections, thank you guys so much for the help! You guys saved me from ordering a new gauge cluster haha EDIT: The sun is beating down on my car right now, every interior piece feels like fire. I'll wait until later on to take it apart lol

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'll go ahead and update this, the problem is fixed. I needed a new cluster, I could of most likely fixed the original one but it was much easier to just buy a new cluster. I think one of the plugs on my old cluster was loose from the board causing it to occasionally not work. But, problem is now solved. :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts