Skyline Owners Forum banner

41 - 60 of 84 Posts

·
Noob until taught otherwise :D
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Alrighty, haven't updated in a while so here's whats different!

I haven't had much time (or money) lately to be able to do anything on the car, but I've been working away at doing things that are quick and cheap :D

I can't be bothered uploading pics to PhotoBucket so here's my Facebook folder lol: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151312044154768.569154.835344767&type=1

Basically I have gotten the car to the point where it is going to be certified on Sat, going to be good! Have a few more things to do tomorrow but luckily I have the day off so I can do them!

Will update later with cert results :D

·
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Well Gir passed the cert! There was a few problems but they were sorted straight away.

They found these issues:

- Threaded bolt on front left wheel hub (got them to rethread it)
- They thought my FMIC was too big and failed me on it without even looking at it -.- but then they took the bumper off and had a good look and they were happy enough that it was supported, so they passed it.
- The previous owner has repositioned the airbag sensor to underneath that car (?!), so if I had had an accident I would have been so screwed... But it's been sorted now.

Gotta wait for the cert plate to arrive now (hopefully on Monday) and then I can go pick him up and take him to either VTNZ or VINZ and get that stupid sticker removed!

It's going to be so good to drive it legally for the first time in what feels like an eternity!

More mods to come from there :D

·
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Took Gir for the VTNZ WOF to get that green sticker removed and they failed it on the headlights being too scratched :shakehead:

So I've got some coming hopefully in the next week, and I've replaced the LED's I got as indicators with the OEM ones because they aren't legal either :shakehead:

Then I took it for a drive and got to the shops, tried to start it again and nothing! I got a mate to come jump the car and it started, but as soon as the terminals were disconnected it died, so tried it again and it started, left it for a minute and then it idled so low it was at risk of dying so I killed it and got towed home. Got out my voltmeter and tested the battery and it was at 11.90v which is ok, not enough to start the car but I expected that. Got jumped again and tested the output on the alternator and nothing! So now I'm replacing the alternator too, small things but adding to the frustration!

Also the clock and head unit do not work any more since coming back from the certifiers! Not happy about that!

Been considering a swap to a R34, although I have to get Gir to legal standards before I can think about that!

Nothing pic worthy at the moment but there will be soon hopefully :)

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Hello mate, just read ya thread since ive been off here for some time, my spin on your series of events, dont swap it in for a 34, i bet you straight up £100 that once you have sorted all the small odd jobs it will pull together, one thing ive learnt, somethings ARE worth the wait, i got an offer on mine to swap, but tbh im glad i didnt. So with all the issues ive had with mine, shes in another body shop hopefully getting started this week, i got the intercooler with me today to drop off. then i have more parts in my garage when i get her home. :) mate i would love to see this car in the flesh, i even went thro ya photos, LOVING that rear diff mate, seriously if u decide to flog it please let me have that beaut :) i deffo love the car, but i think what makes it dope, is the fact that ya putting hard work in. i know for a fact that if i bought a modded finely tuned skyline i would lose the wow factor...but i love working under the bonnet even tho im not great with this stuff yet :) well sorry for the essay, but dont give up on her, i bet she will supprise ya :)

·
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Haha thanks mate, it's been a hard road but it's getting there!

I've gotta go get a new alternator tomorrow and wait for my mate to come over so he can jump the car (bad thing about only having one car) and recharge my battery.

I've recently taken the intake piping off as I had plumbed in the electronic boost controller wrong (dolt lol, I had plumbed the boost sensor pipe into the intake before the turbo so it was seeing atmospheric pressure so the turbo was spinning freely), and I'm putting a nipple on the 90 degree pipe from the turbo so I can read boost from there. I'll have to reassemble it so I can run the car at idle and recharge the battery a bit.

I'm still waiting on those headlights to arrive, but they should be here by Friday so then I'll take it back to VTNZ and try again.

I've been so focused on getting the car running and legal that I've lost sight of modifying it at the moment, but I have seen something that is absolutely awesome! It might be a bit... Strange to some people but I like it :D it's a carbon muffler! http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=578172589

Anyway I'll update with the results of the WOF when I manage to get it in!

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Mate, my car hasnt been modded basicly since ive owned it, well im trying to do all major stuff first.

Im looking forward to another update but, glad your sticking with it, but when all those stupid things go, i bet you will love it :)

Hit us up with some photos man :) this thread NEEEEDDDSS them, just 2 pages of pure pics :)

·
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
I've been trying all week to get some pics of it, but the weather and time have been working against me :sorry:

I've just plumbed my boost controller in correctly using a brass nipple on the pipe leading from the turbo and I must say, I was losing faith in the car, but all doubts have been erased and now I am back in love!

Best $15,000 I have ever spent!

More updates to follow tomorrow!

·
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Had a day off, so I took a few photos before the rain started :)

Hopefully they satisfy any photo wants for now :)

·
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
I wish my intercooler sat like yours. :(
How does yours sit?

I've got a weird issue that I can't pin point, as it only happened 3 times, but when it does happen it stalls 3 or 4 times. When I start the car, let oil pressure rise, then rev it slightly and let the revs drop back down it dies. Any ideas what this could be? It's a bit concerning but I don't wanna make a mountain out of a mole hill lol.

In the next few weeks I am hopefully going to get some 5 stud hubs/brakes, and some new wheels. I'll find out in the next few days :D

I'll update then!

·
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Ok so I haven't really posted anything here in a while, as nothing major has happened and it's getting into winter here so it's cold as balls in the garage!

I've just done a service on the car, replaced all the belts (apart from the cam belt which was replaced 2000km ago), replaced the spark plugs and changed the engine oil, brake fluid and power steering fluid.

I've got a few mates who have 25DET R33s now, and for some reason my one isn't pulling the same as theirs, and I can't figure out why. I've got it running at 0.63 bar max as I think there is a bit of play in the turbo, and I've been talking to Shred Motorsport and I reckon that in the next few months I can get the money to build an awesome engine.

I've been in talks with them to build a bullet proof engine, looking at building an engine that can handle 1000kw, but will be running much less than that. I don't want a 1000kw street car haha. They estimate that I can run 600kw safely with mods, with forged everything and a RB30 block, but I am gonna buy another car first so I'm not stuck walking!

I'll update when I work out when I can start those mods :)

·
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Another update, have been a bit too much of a broke student lately so nothings been getting underway.

Just had a look at the brakes to see if I needed to replace the pads and I found that the rotors were knackered, and the brake lines are pretty corroded.

Looks like I'm gonna have to do a bit of an update to them. The brakes are a bit of a Frankenstein job anyway, as they came into the country with Maxima front brake calipers and stock rotors. I haven't checked the rears but they might be stock too.

I was thinking about a 5 stud with big brake conversion, which will set me back a bit. Also need to refresh the lines and stuff. Maybe just a whole clean up with do good too.

Anyways, wish me luck! Lol

·
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Went to work yesterday and as it was a pretty slow day I put the Skyline on the Nissan Consult machine to see if I could pin point what was making the car run weird, and using a whole heap of fuel. After some messing around trying to figure out why the consult wasn't connecting we found that some idiot had cut the wire going to the consult port and wired it to another wire for reasons unknown to me! So I fixed it up and checked codes (there were none!)and then checked the mixture ratio, and here's what it gave me:

CMPS-RPM (POS) - 1971 RPM
MAS AIR/FL SE (AFM) - 1.7v
Coolant temp - 81 degrees C (had to stop the fan to get it that warm as it didn't want to rise over 75ish)
Closed throttle position - OFF
Injector Pulse - 2.0 millisecond
02 sensor max voltage - 0.79v
02 sensor min voltage - 0.10v
A/F ALPHA - 99%

So that indicates that the engine is running in the right range, although it was idling 200rpm too high so I idled it down and now it idles properly.

It's running better already but one of the experienced dudes at work said that it could be the wiring from the factory body and the RB25DET engine not completely working together and it's confusing the ECU so it's making it run rich. So they suggested getting a Link G4 installed, so I'm trying to organise the funds for that at the moment.

Now that my course is coming to a close for the year I'm hopefully going to be working and that means more money to put into the Skyline!

·
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Alrighty guys, been a while since a positive update so here goes.

I have bought another run around car which will allow me to put Gir off the road for a wee while, while I work on all the little niggly things which have hampered me with this build. I'm going to start with a parts list, and once I have everything together I will then proceed with putting it together!

First things first, I have organised to buy some VarrsToen ES2 19x9.5 for the front and 19x10.5 for the rear brand new ($1900) which is gonna get the ball rolling for getting the underside of the car done.

Once I have got those rims I will go about sourcing some R33 GTR Brembo brakes, and luckily since I now work at Nissan I can get trade prices on Brembo components from BNT here in Lower Hutt which is a heck of a lot cheaper, and brand new!

After that, I will be buying a R200 diff, 5 stud hubs, and a few other bits and bobs to complete the conversion.

Then I will look at getting some adjustable suspension, haven't decided what brand to go with yet.

To finish it off I will be acquiring adjustable arms and bushings for the entire underside to make it all adjustable and sit how I want.

Will have to do some guard work to make the rims fit too, and I'll decide how wide when I get the rims!

·
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Hey nah I haven't had it remapped which is kind of a duh thing, but I've been told that the symptoms I'm having shouldn't be caused by that.

·
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
There's a drifter in NZ called Zak Pole and he has the most awesome custom made wide body kit I've ever seen for an R33, he's selling copies of it so I'm gonna try and get some :D

Here's some pics:

It's 75mm wide front and rear, and it doesn't look like a bloated whale which other wide body R33's seem to do.

41 - 60 of 84 Posts