Skyline Owners Forum banner

61 - 80 of 84 Posts

·
Noob until taught otherwise :D
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Small update, got given some coils out of a low km R33 that came into work complaining of a weak coil, so I got at least 5 good ones :D

Also my CAS has been playing up due to a noisy/sticking bearing so I have just bought a replacement one and also a manual RB25DET ECU to see if that helps anything.

·
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
I've now taken the car to STM and had a Link G4 put in and tuned, turns out there was nothing wrong with my engine at all, it was just my cat was crushed so it couldn't breathe and the EBC that I bought isn't working properly (showing 3 bar when it's running 8 bar, and before the tune it was running 3 bar when showing 6) so now it's being controlled by the Link and it's running a healthy 230kw at 8psi with a healthy power band!

Next step they want me to do it to replace my exhaust for a 3" one, a high/low boost switch , upgraded injectors and a few other things and they think I can make a healthy 300kw on high boost so that sounds tempting :D

·
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Sad news, I lost my licence for apparently getting pulled over doing something illegal in a place I've never been, so I'm fighting it but I can't drive in the mean time! :O And so my friend borrow the Skyline to get to and from seeing her Mum in the hospital until her douchebag friend took off with the car and thrashed it, blowing the turbo in the process. But luck was on my side and I found a new turbo for $160 so I'm gonna put that on once I can drive once again.

Got my hands on some R34 GTT calipers and rotors, got them through work for $600, and they came with barely used rotors and pads! That's the 310mm 4 pot ones :D Gonna get the rotors machined and the calipers refurbished, and powder coated in #bada55 (cos it looks like badass lol), which is a limey green and paint the 'Nissan' in black, so that should look alright.

Other than that, once I've done that I'm gonna look for an LSD and some adjusties, build up a pile before I put them on the car.

·
Registered
375 Posts
sorry to hear about your license mate, hope you get it sorted out, hard to say no to friends borrowing car but when they damage it if they don't pay they don't play, but the cars coming on so keep ya head up!!!

·
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Thanks James, I got my licence back now and they sorted it out because the knew they were wrong :D Gave me some compensation too which is good lol.

Anyway, did some more work on the car, I went back to the wreckers the other day (it's kinda like my Disneyland haha) to get some wheels for the car so I can take my time choosing which wheels to get, and I got the ones which came off the same car the brakes came off of so I knew they would fit, they are some Sparco NS2 Crimson 17x8 and 17x9. Also got new carpets (in good condition too!), new boot interior, and a fibreglass GTR wing.

And today I fitted the GTR wing, resealed my tail lights, swapped over the new turbo (went with another factory one) and started the 5 stud conversion. However I overlooked the fact that the new wheels need slim wheel nuts and couldn't take the ones I got for them, and the only places that sell the slim ones aren't open until Monday now. So unfortunately the car is on jacks until next weekend when I'll finish it all off! Also found out today that my alternator and power steering belts were very loose. They were pretty tight last time I checked and the powersteering one was so loose that I could pull it off of the bottom pulley. Not sure how that happened but I'm a but wary of that... Also might need to replace my power steering pump because of that.

Anyway, enough words, here's some photos :D (and yes that is a R33 GTR next to it):

·
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
I forgot to note that I have gotten the calipers overhauled, I haven't powdercoated them yet however, I plan to soon hopefully if everything goes well. Just kinda... Spent a bit too much at the moment :p

·
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Decided to bite the bullet and bought new coil packs through work (Nissan for those who don't remember) and got the lot for $678 NZD so pretty good considering. They're ex Japan, so I gotta wait 2-3 weeks but that's alright cos it still runs at least.

Also looking for a new BOV as mine is as leaky as a tinkers bath, considering a HKS SSQV but apparently they are just over priced and do the same job as a cheapie.

One last thing as well, gonna get my power steering pump overhauled as it is knotchy and leaking somewhere, at the same time I might try and clean my reservoir, any tips on that anyone?

·
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
I'm currently looking for a 4.111 LSD to replace my 3.583 open diff, and decided to do a bit of math for anyone looking to swap over their differentials.

When you swap out a diff with a different differential you are changing the torque and final speed at the wheels, the higher the number the lower the end speed but the higher the torque is multiplied by. When I swap my diffs over the final speed and torque will look something like this:

Throughout the gearing there is between a 13.6% and 11.8% decrease in top speed, with a 14.7% increase in torque (the torque increase is consistent as it is a mechanical reduction). I think a top end reduction of 40kmph is a decent trade with an extra 43nm max torque, as realistically all the other components on the car would not be able to max out that trans/diff combo, but could definitely make use of the extra torque. Plus switching from a open diff to a LSD will help getting power down greatly!

So in total, I will be going from a total of:

Top speed (theoretical) = 305.71kmph -> 267.09kmph
Torque (@4979rpm @3rd gear @142kmph) = 292.30nm -> 335.37nm

·
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Small but big update, just bought an RB30 block and loom, HD clutch and new flywheel and 25DET head (already been matched to the block) and the extractors. Going to leave it in storage for a bit as I'll gather parts to rebuild it with forged parts and then putting it in. I'm getting it from a mate for cheap as he was gonna put it in a S14 but he blew his big end and was offered a replacement SR20 that was worked so he jumped at that and sold me the RB30 cheap :grinno:

As for the 25DET that is in it, it will likely go into a Cefiro that I may aquire soon as a drift toy. Good fun all around!

·
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Made a big decision lately, going to stop modifying the R33 (well, finish it to where I would call acceptable) and import a R34 GT-Four coupe to fit my RB30 into and make it a GTR-esque R34.

The GF wants to use the R33 so it won't be going anywhere (and it will still be in my name ;) ) so if I get time/money in the future I will be continuing the build on it.

I'll make a new thread on the R34 if I can source one (as they are fairly rare), but basic plans at the moment are:

Forged RB30 w/ 450kwatw ish.
R34 GTR Z-Tune kit (no badges though, it's not a GTR after all).
Big brakes (although seeing the price of some of the kits makes my jaw drop).
MFD wired into dash.
GTR interior.

can anyone see any issues that could arise with this? Or any other differences between the GT-Four and GTR?

Cheers guys

·
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
After talking extensively to an importer, I am now having second thoughts about a R34. Mainly because the number of hoops I would need to jump through to get it here and then have minimal chance of getting it registered just makes it nigh on impossible. He said it's easier and cheaper just to get a GTR. Crazy New Zealand laws.

Anyway, I'm pushing on with Gir.

Had to replace the fuel pump as my one died, taking along with it my catalytic converter (unburnt/lean fuel was ejected into the exhaust mani and detonated, burning the cat). So, I've bought a new exhaust and decat pipe, which should be arriving in the next fortnight and I am collecting items together to do a 'hotwire' to fuel pump. If people would like I can do a write up on it and provide plenty of pictures. I plan to make it look like it should have been that way from factory so it should be interesting.

Cheers guys!

·
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Exhaust has arrived! Along with the decat pipe :D

Also FINALLY got around to mounting my Top Secret front bumper! Wired in the LED indicators with some ballast resistors so lower the voltage adequately. Looks pretty good but not as good as a fit as I had hoped. Going to be looking into a ZP Drift bodykit instead of the Top Secret one once funds allow and certain other mods are taken care of.

And one last pic of the afterburners ;)

·
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
that exhaust looks like its going to be loud :bounce:

cars looking great mate, rb30 is something id love to do in the future, the mass of torque would be addictive :grinno:
Heh yeah the new exhaust is much louder, not too loud though which is excellent, and the RB30 is going to certainly be a fun lump to have in there!

In my prep for getting the RB30 ready to go into the car, I was thinking about management. I've already got the Link G4 in the car, which is a great standalone system, however I am considering switching to a Haltech Elite ECU as it has a load of fantastic features which I can make the most of. One such feature is their Flexi-Fuel sensor which you can run E85 in your tank and it senses what the ratio between your normal fuel is and the E85 and adjusts the tune as needed.

Another feature which I plan to make great use of is the ability to use the CAN port as an OBD2 port. I am currently looking into using a Raspberry Pi 2 B+ minicomputer as a base for getting a screen like the MFD from the R34 GTR, and using Android 4.0 on it, with it booting directly into Torque Pro (an application). The screen can be touch screen and I can set it up to have up to 9 different gauges on it at one time, simplifying the cabin as I won't need gauges everywhere. I've seen some people mount the R34 MFD into their R33s and they look half decent but I would modify it so it's fully integrated and looks smooth. There's still a lot of work to do before then though, so best get to it!

·
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
Bit of a change of direction guys, the car was stolen from my place a week ago and I found it the next day about 40 min drive away, not too badly damaged but still extremely aggravating.

My new direction is that I have purchased a new car for getting about with and I am going to be heading in a track related direction with the car.

It's gonna be a long time before I can get it on a track though, planning a caged build with the RB30 and lots of weight reduction, but wanting to keep it road registered so it'll have to be scrutinised by the motorsport authority so I have a lot of work to do before it reaches that standard.

I'll post pics of the progress when I get around to it, but not likely for the rest of this year unfortunately.

·
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
Bit of a disaster has happened. Had the Skyline parked around at my parents place while I was at work and unfortunately they had a massive house fire and it claimed the rear quarter of the car. It's warped the chassis and welded the left hand door to the body so it's a write off.

Here's some pictures.

Next step is to find a new body and transfer everything over to it, I've found a manual R33 GTS4 coupe that looks promising. It's had frontal impact damage and has bent the left chassis rail, but I'm gonna take it into a body shop and see if they can repair it and then build from that.

I'm thinking that since the GTS4 has a RB25DE in it I'll build up my RB30 to go into that instead of the GTS25. Gotta wait a fortnight for the auction for the car to end, so fingers crossed that it all works out.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Wow you have had some bad luck 2015. Car was starting to look good. No chance of getting an R34 chassis?

·
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
Wow you have had some bad luck 2015. Car was starting to look good. No chance of getting an R34 chassis?
I did consider it, but the cheapest one for sale that was straight that I could find was about $2k out of my budget.

With the GTS4 I plan to build up the RB30 with an AWD set up now and have the body look relatively stock so that it can surprise people when the 30 opens up! Should be quite a bit of fun

·
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
Alrighty I went on a large boat and picked up the GTS4 today!

Damage is a little more than I thought it would be, but I'm going to get it fixed as it's pretty much my dream car, GTR without the GTR looks (I've always preferred the S2 GTST looks).

Now I need to find out if I can use the chassis rail and parts from my GTS25 (don't know as the subframe mounting places are different but could be modified) or get in a GTR front cut and use that.

Gonna take a while but will start a new project thread when it happens so this will probably be the last post in this thread.

R.I.P. Gir, you were a great learning experience :(

61 - 80 of 84 Posts