Skyline Owners Forum banner

81 - 84 of 84 Posts

·
Noob until taught otherwise :D
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
Geebus it's been a long time since I updated this...

So update since I last posted... Car is mostly repaired as I couldn't bear to just let it go, it's been a long process but I'm finally one step away from having it back on the road. I put the new glass into the car tonight so that has to cure for 24hr and then I can finish reassembly.

Only thing stopping me driving it now it that I need to repair a bit of a rust hole in the boot floor as water got into the car from a hole in the sealant from the fire so that will be tackled with a grinding wheel and then a welder with a replacement part.

Anyway, Hi to anyone that's come to view this thread from 9gag :bananasmile:

·
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
So it's been quite a while since this was last updated! Not sure how to post photos any more either seeing as I used to use Photobucket but they don't do anything for free any more!

I still have this Skyline, can't seem to let go of it due to sentimental reasons! It's been sitting in my garage for the past few year collecting dust and slowly (see: Glacier movement) having things done and repaired.

So here is where the car stands currently!

As from the fire/being stolen, I have had the paint repaired and also new windows put into it, decided to get a bit crazy with it and replace all of the rear bushes and replace the R180 subframe with a R200 subframe and diff. I have purchased every single bush that Whiteline make for the rear of the car, and a new sway bar, and had the R200 subframe and rear LCAs bushes burnt out, and sandblasted, ready for powdercoating. I dropped the fuel tank and have removed all of the old fuel out of it, and checked all the internal components and fuel pump for any signs of corrosion but it all looks good! With that out I have sanded back and rust treated any small spots where the tank had rubbed, and undercoated where the fuel tank sits (the rest of the car is undercoated and in good condition).

I have also purchased all new gaskets for the turbo, and I am dropping my Nismo injectors off to be cleaned and flowed seeing as they have been sitting for a number of years now.

Next on my list of things, is to have every single bolt and nut cleaned and zinc coated, as well as the fuel tank straps and a few other small things. Also replacing all of the crossover lines on the fuel tank, and rubber lines to hard line fuel lines with E85 safe lines just in case I want to go E85 in the future. Powdercoating the subframe and lower arms is next, and then fitting all the new bushes and putting it all back together.

Once I figure out how to do photos again I'll dump a whole bunch :D

·
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
Still haven't worked out the photo thing yet, but haven't taken too many photos of the recent work.

Managed to wire wheel all of the subframe bolts, couldn't reach all of the bolt with the bench wheel but got a lot of the old corrosion and crud gone! I'm gonna see about getting a Dremel tool so I can properly finish them off and then get them to the zinc plater. I'm thinking black at the moment but I'm not 100% sure on the toughness of the coating and since these will all have to stand up to being wrenched on so I'm gonna be looking into that.

Also, the factory heat shields have taken a bit of weathering and have a build up of rust on parts so I'm considering getting it all sandblasted and then re-galvanised. Either that or wire wheeling it down (with said Dremel) and then getting some 'Hot Silver' and spraying them with that. I'm more looking for longevity at the moment and want something that is going to last while still looking decent.

Due to me not being able to get much done on the subframe it is still sitting waiting for powdercoating, so I may have to get it re-sandblasted as I want the finish to be as close to perfect as possible.

Will update with a set of decent photos once all the powdercoating is done!

·
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
Sad to say but this has now been sold, making way for a new project (factory turbo R33 coupe, will make a thread about it!). Its a sad day, but I've got big plans for the new project!

81 - 84 of 84 Posts