Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Seasoned Member
9,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I've noticed a whining noise from under the bonnet when the car is first started in the morning, cold start and turning the steering wheel sounds horrid... could this be air in the fluid? There is no fluid loss that I can see, but the hose on the bottom of the fluid resevoir has fluid over it, so potentially needs new clamps on?

Or could it be something worse like bearings/pump gears etc?

The noise goes away when warm and been running for a bit.

Anyone experienced anything similar?

·
Registered
142 Posts
if its only doing it when cold it could be the fluid has broken down. i could be wrong and will gladly stand corrected, is it the same sort of noise you get when you turn full lock??

but i have a whining noise coming from the passenger side sometimes....and occasionally from the rear.....kicked out the wife n kids..problem solved.

·
Registered
369 Posts
i get that noise aswell, not all the time tho just every now and again and it seems to take its time for the revs to go bk to idle speed

·
Registered
346 Posts
i had the same prob, whining noise from the belt but solved it when i jump started the car off the vans battery. must have been a bad earth or something but its gone now :)

·
Seasoned Member
9,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
if its only doing it when cold it could be the fluid has broken down. i could be wrong and will gladly stand corrected, is it the same sort of noise you get when you turn full lock??

but i have a whining noise coming from the passenger side sometimes....and occasionally from the rear.....kicked out the wife n kids..problem solved.
Well I've looked under the car tonight and there is no liquid anywhere so I think I will just flush and replace including all hose clamps and washers and see how it goes.

I don't get any noise when the steering is on full lock, just when cold....

I know another way to resolve the whining on the passenger side and from the rear, remove the seats and put a roll cage in lol ;)

·
hippy
7,682 Posts
the whine will be the internal bearing thats most under load when the fluid is thick and cold,if its a whine thats always there then its more than likely going to be the main bearing at the front of the pump

1 - 6 of 6 Posts