Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Feck it all.

Can't drive it just now, but was out checking on the car today as its only run once in seven days, and that was just at tickover to warm up and let everything circulate (tuesday).

Under neath the engine bay, a puddle/stain has formed. Not engine oil. (and the level is fine). Not Brake/clutch fluid (wrong texture and smell, and levels are fine), not washer bottle fluid (cos even I could identify that), which only leads me to suspect the radiator or cooling pipework.

However, upon removing the rad cap and nosing around, its as full as ever.

Reaching under the car and up onto the plastic guard under the engine revealed a damp patch, so its not from someone else's car thats sat there before. Something has leaked which is resulting in fluid of a smooth texture (not as smooth as the fluids above) with little smell, reaching the plastic underguard and obviously dripping off over time. THe location is just to the passenger side of centre.

Any ideas?

Something I could do without right now, and not gonna have time to fix it or diagnose properly for another 3 weeks, so some hints would be great. If I had the time I'd just attack it and figure it out as I am sure it is pretty simple, but I don't which is why I am typing this gibberish.

Ran the car at idle til warm then at various revs for a few mins and nothing dripped or leaked then. Which confused me more.

All I have is a damp patch and puddle as evidence.

(no rude jokes you lot! ;) )

Car has sat for 5 days unused before and never did this.

Apologies for the ramblings, am bloody tired, and all ideas apreciated.

E

·
0 Posts
Could it be the heating or air con sytem?
I would get some newspaper & under the car & stones to hold it in place & see exactly where its coming from. If indeed it is your car. The bottoms of engine bays have a habit of collecting puddles of this & that over time. Rain water off the road mixed with oil etc.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Hi Jock

I have had similar symptoms except mine hasn’t lost as much fluid.
I traced it to the power steering pump but I have still not found the exact place it has leaked from.
After I cleaned the area up there has not been any more fluid leaks.
At the moment I’m putting it down to a pressure blow off of some kind, maybe the power steering pump has a pressure relief valve?

Hope this helps

Simon

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ahh....... Never thought of the power steering fluid!
Shall follow both suggestions if I remember and have time tomorrow. Once I read the sport I'll lob it under the car to keep it excited, and have a squizz at the power steering fluid level!

Got a feeling we're onto something here.

Cheers.

·
Banned
8,850 Posts
Bet you a zillion pounds its just condensate from the aircon system. If I am wrong I aint got a zillion pounds so bugger off thinking you are rich.
If you are brave enough, taste it. I am not brave, just foolish and it works for me.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Aircon? Nah.... Not been run with the aircon on for weeks. And it has a very slight greasy feel to it. Not had time yet to check the power steering today, but pretty sure its not condensation.

Also, I thought you only got condensation if the aircon had been running (or the car had been running). This formed over several days of not being run/started at all.

·
Member No 2.
666 Posts
Power Steering fluid

Jock,
Your problem sounds just the same as mine at the moment, I know it's the powersteering fluid, but buggered if I can find out where it's coming from. as Simon said, most likely problem, especially in the area you are talking about. Wether theres a valve system on the car or not, I have checked around all the pipe work and top cap and can only guess it leaks when under pressure from the cap!!!!, then again I could be talking bollocks.

Paul.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts