Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
New Agenda
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a GTS and was looking at possible setups for getting a turbo installed into my car. I know that it would be easier to sell my car and buy a GTS-T instead, but I've gotten in contact with a few sponsors. My questions are:

- What is the stock turbo in a R32 GTS-T
- What is the strongest/best turbo to install without breaking the bank or just being downright ridiculous?

·
Registered
559 Posts
Are you looking at buying a turbo? I've the whole turbo side of things that I'm looking to sell. I'll PM you some info if you're interested.

·
New Agenda
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are you looking at buying a turbo? I've the whole turbo side of things that I'm looking to sell. I'll PM you some info if you're interested.
I am interested, but I would like to know the specs first, like the brands and size and all that.

·
"A Skyline with 4 doors?"
380 Posts
The fact is trying to get a high end/spec'd turbo versus a stock or anything is really a mute point. Starting with a RB20DE and converting it to a turbo will limit you. The DE and DET are actually different beasts. The DE I believe has a 10:1 compression versus the DET's 8.5:1. That means you won't be able to match the pressure a DET could handle, if you do the engine won't last long...making a stock turbo more than adequate. There's plenty other differences also, I've unfortunately forgotten them all. But with the costs of converting to turbo, remapping the ecu and then still running limited boost your best option is to source a DET engine/ecu/loom and install it. Don't forget either way you'll need to get the fuel pump swapped out or you'll risk leaning it out. Good luck!

·
New Agenda
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I completely forgot about the differences between a DE and DET.

I'm not looking for something crazy, just a little nudge of power I guess. It's at the bottom of my list of things to do, after intake and vinyl work is done.

·
Registered
30 Posts
If you're thinking about a +T setup, best to rebuild engine and put new piston rings as well, last thing you want is the current rings giving way and when the turbo is added, too much pressure and causes oil to leak into chambers making LOTS of white smoke.

Should also leave it on low boost, due to different compression ratios if you dont want to retune and dyno, but run the stock turbo ecu. IMO

·
Super Moderator
8,995 Posts
Probably cheaper to change the engine but otherwise you will be pushing your luck, compression is too high to use a useful amount of boost, you will also need larger injectors with a means of controlling them (mapped/chipped ECU), so you would need lower compression pistons and preferably oil squirters from the DET motor, add to that the turbo setup, manifolds, AFM, intercooler etc, and it adds up to a lot.

·
Registered
30 Posts
You could still use the rb25de injectors since there the same as the rb20det -270cc, for boost, probably stay under 8psi first, run it on 6-7psi just so the engine can adjust to the new pressure. Then after a few weeks turn it up alittle by using a manual or electrical boost controller. [i use manual controller, since i can test it with an air compressor]

definately get atleast a 2.5inch exhaust line, you dont want ANY back pressure at all

I have a friend who owns a r33 rb25de+t running on 12psi max and still goes hard

·
Super Moderator
8,995 Posts
You could still use the rb25de injectors since there the same as the rb20det -270cc, for boost, probably stay under 8psi first, run it on 6-7psi just so the engine can adjust to the new pressure. Then after a few weeks turn it up alittle by using a manual or electrical boost controller. [i use manual controller, since i can test it with an air compressor]

definately get atleast a 2.5inch exhaust line, you dont want ANY back pressure at all

I have a friend who owns a r33 rb25de+t running on 12psi max and still goes hard

So you would run near std DET boost, on DET injectors on a std DE ECU then.:screwy:

You need a DET ECU, not to mention that the you also need the DET AFM for it to work at all.

·
Registered
30 Posts
No, i mentioned in the comments earlier to use a stock turbo ECU bro

but no you could still use the rb25de/t pink AFM[for rb25de/t s2 engine] or rb25de/t green AFM[for rb25de/t s1 and s0]

But the pink AFM would be best to use as they intake measurement max out greater then the green AFM.

Pink AFM have 3 pins, Green AFM has 5 ibelieve

1 - 12 of 12 Posts