Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m needing an 90 elbow welded onto my compressor housing. The elbow I have is perfect fitment. the only problem is the elbow is aluminium and the compressor housing is cast aluminium. Can this be done, I’ve seen pictures online and it looks as if it’s been done before. What filler rod and what settings do I have to use. Im studying welding at college and have done loads of TIG, I haven’t welded cast before but I have done aluminium before. If it can’t be done I can just buy another elbow but this time it will be cast. If this is the case which settings and rod for both metals being cast aluminium?
Thanks, Rory.

Turbo in question is a holset HX32

·
Forum Gypo
309 Posts
I don't think it should be too much of a problem, just remember to keep it spotless clean. It would help if you new what grade aluminium both componenets are. They are usually graded in groups from the 1000 group up to the 7000 group.
I should imagine that both are either in the 5000 , 6000 or 7000 group as this would make the most sense going on what they are to be used for. Therefor a filler wire in the 5xxx group should do the trick as this will match the base alloys of both materials.
As for settings, this depende on the thickness of both components and what kind of weld joint. If the wall thickness is around 3mm and it will be a butt weld then you will be in the range of 170/180 amps AC. A fillet weld needs more 190/200 amps AC.
Hope this helps a little.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts