Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a few of you might be aware my car is going in for a respray in a couple of months.

My rear arches have a bit of rust on them and the body shop have asked me to supply some standard rear arches in good condition to save them fabricating some and thus keeping the cost down.

i am not cutting corners in any way and she will be having a bare metal respray to the tune of quite alot :)

what i think would be reasonable for a pair of cut out rear arches is probs about £100 seeing as most people would just weigh in a shell and not even think about selling them.

responding to a quote from Natalie at JDM garage :spank: saying the usual "have these in stock let me know if you still need them" i thought i would take a punt and ask how much would i be looking at??

i got the response you would be looking at £170.. ouch you might be thinking. But that is per side plus delivery.

I feel like not only is a quote like that morally wrong and incredibly high and that i am having the P!$$ taken out of me i would question how are they approved traders on this site?.

Anyways, rant over :sorry:

·
Administrator
25,962 Posts
It will be that price since they have to buy the full car very carefully strip the car then have the space to actually strip the car,then have the space to store said parts removed from car and also have space for tools,ramps and any other tools that may be required.

Now where do you think this all takes place??? In a tiny back garden or a massive unit with loads of space outside to store said stripped cars and any other cars they buy in.

Now given the way the country is I don't think that the massive unit with massive space is going to be free I'm assuming there will be rent plus rates plus electricity plus loads of other stupid stuff to pay also there is the small question of staff yep you read that right staff!! Do you think it was magic pixies that stripped the cars for free? No you need to employ several people to strip cars and store parts and also you need a management staff and also an accoutant.

Now I'm sure I have missed loads of other money draining problems but I'm sure you will get the idea when I say it costs a bit of money to do what they do.

If you still think that it's downright disgraceful that they charge that much then I suggest you do what they do since you seem to be in the illusion that stripping cars costs peanuts.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It will be that price since they have to buy the full car very carefully strip the car then have the space to actually strip the car,then have the space to store said parts removed from car and also have space for tools,ramps and any other tools that may be required.

Now where do you think this all takes place??? In a tiny back garden or a massive unit with loads of space outside to store said stripped cars and any other cars they buy in.

Now given the way the country is I don't think that the massive unit with massive space is going to be free I'm assuming there will be rent plus rates plus electricity plus loads of other stupid stuff to pay also there is the small question of staff yep you read that right staff!! Do you think it was magic pixies that stripped the cars for free? No you need to employ several people to strip cars and store parts and also you need a management staff and also an accoutant.

Now I'm sure I have missed loads of other money draining problems but I'm sure you will get the idea when I say it costs a bit of money to do what they do.

If you still think that it's downright disgraceful that they charge that much then I suggest you do what they do since you seem to be in the illusion that stripping cars costs peanuts.

thank you for alliterating that for me and making it clear. That completely justifies such pricing.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
what choice do i have. when i am that disillusioned that i think that breakers would offer me parts just out of the kindness of their hearts.

I have worked in small business' enough to know that it costs money to operate. But what is the point in putting all that effort in just to price yourself out of the market.

For the product that is not a fair price. i guarantee if i approached other breakers then the parts would be a lot less. But of course that could be due to smaller overheads and increased cash flow and productivity.

i am not thick Speedreeper but think there's skyline tax and then there is a bit of a joke.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes i did thank you mate.

how long is the shell going to be there. i could get down in a few weeks more then likely :) if i take a trip home to see family in Worcester.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Fact is, they can happily charge 200% more than brand-new nissan price if they like because - a) there's a market willing to pay it, b) there's no room for morals in business and c) there's little competition.

They may be pricey, but they stop you having to hunt for 6 months for a bargain as the parts dont come up often on the 2nd hand market. You really have to put in a lot of effort sometimes if you want parts you desire quickly, for cheap. They do offer a broad spectrum of parts, and typically skyline owners expect to pay above average for car parts.

I've found on the plus side, JDMgarage do offer great customer service, free advice and are readily able to send parts quickly, well packaged and to remote locations. Yeah they are expensive, but as above, they can afford to be - if I owned the business I'd do exactly the same thing.

·
Administrator
25,962 Posts
what choice do i have. when i am that disillusioned that i think that breakers would offer me parts just out of the kindness of their hearts.

I have worked in small business' enough to know that it costs money to operate. But what is the point in putting all that effort in just to price yourself out of the market.

For the product that is not a fair price. i guarantee if i approached other breakers then the parts would be a lot less. But of course that could be due to smaller overheads and increased cash flow and productivity.

i am not thick Speedreeper but think there's skyline tax and then there is a bit of a joke.
If you can get them cheaper elsewhere then do it and I too know what overheads are like some traders have massive premises others dont but you can start a thread and ***** and moan about the price when they have bigger overheads and such plus they do have a very big stock of parts nearly all the time so again it costs more money.

Yes it can be a pain when something is much more than is expected but that's how it is unfortunately I'm just lucky my mate owns a bodyshop so any work I need done to any car costs me nothing and same for parts I have never paid full price for anything and in some cases I have been given them free. You just need to be in the right place at the right time :)

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Fact is, they can happily charge 200% more than brand-new nissan price if they like because - a) there's a market willing to pay it, b) there's no room for morals in business and c) there's little competition.

They may be pricey, but they stop you having to hunt for 6 months for a bargain as the parts dont come up often on the 2nd hand market. You really have to put in a lot of effort sometimes if you want parts you desire quickly, for cheap. They do offer a broad spectrum of parts, and typically skyline owners expect to pay above average for car parts.
I can appreciate what you are saying. But on a fully stripped shell waiting to be weighed in £100-£150 for a rough cut out of the rear arches isn't that cheap really, more a fair price for 10 mins of cutting.

I am willing to pay increased prices because i love the car but i don't want to be taken for a ride.

Why else would pricing be by P.M only why not openly say.

general body parts such as sideskirts, that do not take long to strip off a car can be bought off traders in good condition for £60-£70 quid. JDM garage quoted me £125

It is not down to skyline tax. It is down to greed

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i am willing to pay this :) they only have to be rough but i don't know how high they are wanting to weld them on. probs not that high. As long as they are completely rust free :)

·
Central Scotland Area Rep
2,447 Posts
after multiple rather comical quotes from said trader i just dont bother asking anymore or reply to " we have this in stock pm if still needed" just post the ****ing price up for all to see

to be honest i was insulted by the quote on an occasion they must think im buttoned up the back

there 2nd hand parts with next to no warrenty where costing more than new parts were delivered from conceptua this was for a set of rear shocks and strut tops only extra i got from said trader was a set of oe springs that i didnt want or need and would have binned

i steer well clear of them now and would rather pay dealer prices than hand them any of my hard earned cash

but hey ho keep going guys and you will price yourselves out the market

1 - 20 of 32 Posts