Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, found the R32 saloon i was looking for....mint condition..low miles.....but its a auto :'(

anyone know if it can be converted to a manual ?????

thanks, ANY help is really appreciated !!

phrozen

·
Registered
101 Posts
Dunno about a Skyline buy i have looked into modding a Supra From auto to manual... You can do it but it takes loads of effort and cash... just gonna drop a clutchless sequential in... ;)

Oh BTW... If you are selling your Xedos i may have a interested party for ya... ;)

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Mate....

Its likely to be one hell of a job. Trying to find an R32 box could be tough too unless you want to spend MEGA bucks on a new one.

Be as well just spending more cash in the first place, telling the family to suffer it, and buying a GTR.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
erm.. i think il give the auto a test drive....see what it goes like ... :s

ZXSpectrum, the xedos was a beautiful car - but some nutcase reversed into it ! its written off :'( which is why im looking for a skyline !

thakns guys

phrozen

·
Ut oh
3,796 Posts
heres a list of parts needed to do the swap that i found
g'box,
pedals,
pedalbox,
clutch master cylinder,
drive shaft,
g'box mount and cross members,
center console,
gear stick,
gear stick cover,
pressure plate,
clutch
flywheel,
gear knob
and if you have a nosey round skylinesdownunder.com theres several people on there that've done the conversion..:)

·
Banned
8,850 Posts
Whats wrong with an auto then?
Switchable sports mode, redline every gear, kick down like a mule, never been bounced off the rev limiter, use the switch under the gear selector to drop down a gear quick, no need for clutch upgrades, they are not as bad as the narrow minded people who "dis" em make out.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Autos...

Absolute rubbish! Never see me in one! ;)

Nah.... Just kidding! Seriously though, nothing wrong with one at all. Some narrow minded folks will say otherwise but sod them I say! Oil cooler as standard (I think - for the box anyway), simple to use, just watch the fluid! No hassle in and out of gear around town, and, as buster says, no over-revving or abuse of the box (which is a risk in an R32 as due to the car's age someone is bound to have ragged it!).

I say go for it mate, anyone who disses auto's needs a talking to with a big stick (equipped with nail in the end!).
Like any other bit of a car, as long as you look after it properly it'll last forever (and I reckon a manual conversion just wouldn't be worth the cash!).

I've been in Buster's auto R33, and it rips up the road, so don't think auto Skyline's are slow!

·
Member No 2.
666 Posts
auto box

Buster,
I have to agree with you on that front. My 4 door GTS Skyline was a great car although not a turbo model it still shifted, and once up to speed she ran like a dream. The present car although not mine is a GTS-t Auto as you say she doesn't hang around, gos like S**t off a shovel when using the sports mode. can really recommend one wether auto or not . Go on you know it makes sence.

Paul.

·
Banned
8,850 Posts
Thanks for your thoughts men, I didnt see Jock in mine either cos he had slipped out the seat :D I am reliably informed the auto box will take up to 450 bhp, should be enough for most through the rear wheels I reckon

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Think

you'd be mad to pass it up on the grounds of it being an auto, show me a standard manual R32 GTS that can take 450 bhp at the wheels and I'll eat my hat. And my shorts (which I've been wearing for 17 hours now!).

·
Registered
66 Posts
I very much think its personal opinion. I have been looking round some GTS-T's, and its a nightmare as about 90% seem to be auto.

I just cant be happy myself with an auto. No heel and toe downshifts, and no drifting.

I have nothing against autos and there is a good arguement for them in some circumstances. Its not for me however, and thats most important in my view which is why I wouldnt get one.

Lee

·
Member No 2.
666 Posts
auto box

Ah yes!, but not everone whats to go drifting in their car do they?. Just because an auto is not controlable enough for drifting isn't enough of a reason not to get a Skyline with an auto box!!!.

Paul.

·
G-SPORT DRAG GTS
231 Posts
and if your pockets are deep enough and you fancy good hardcore drag racing, HKS make an upgrade kit for the rb20 auto transmission too.
G.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks guys,

going to see the car soon....74 miles away !

are there any points that i should watch out for ? (because this will be the first auto i will have bought)

o yeh..just a random question.....will teh dump valve sound as good as it does on the manual ?

thanks for all the help, much appreciated :)

phrozen

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Dump

valve will sound just as cool......

(depending on what it is....)

Busters sounds awesome on his '33 auto, different from my '32 manual but thats cos its a different dump valve....

Good luck tomorrow mate, posted a rather long winded reply on your other thread...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts