Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Everybody knows that the bird is the word
9,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My dash has a couple of bubbles which bother me, so I bought a replacement.
I used to do this sorta thing for a living so I'm confident in pulling a dash out - oddly I see a dash removal and refit as quite fun as far as working on cars go haha. I thought I'd make a bit of a guide for anyone who doesn't have the experience but wants to give it a go (for whatever reason you want to pull a dash out).
This guide will work on ANY R32, the dash area is the same throughout all models.
Some common sense is required as I haven't shown HOW the parts come off, but with the screws removed it becomes very obvious. I also missed some steps.... I assume you can figure out how to remove basic things like a kick panel etc. If you can't figure out the basics for yourself, you probably shouldn't be working on cars anyway :funny:
The principle to remove a dash is just the same for most cars, so this guide will (in principle) work on other model Skylines, Laurel, Corolla, Familia etc etc

This is more or less the order it should be done in too

Firstly - check every dash function on the car to confirm it works. Wipers, indicators, heater controls etc.
Secondly - disconnect the battery (remove the Negative terminal)

The beginning - the 2 large bubbles are obvious

Remove sill trims, kick panels and A pillar trims on both sides

Lift shifter boot from the front (this piece stayed put during the removal as it meant removing the gear knob which is fitted with grub screws - more hassle than its worth to remove it)

To remove the stereo fascia remove these 2 screws

.....and then these 2 screws

Stereo, pocket, heater controls etc all out

The centre console is next, it has 2 screws on each side

...and this one (stereo fascia is still present in this pic, I removed the screws in the centre console before dealing with the stereo area)

Centre console removed

Next is the glovebox, there are 2 screws holding it in place

Glovebox removed

Next is the metal bracket holding the glovebox up and the trim piece to the left of the glovebox

Now the lower dash screws on the left side

Next is the trim above the drivers knees

...and the bonnet release needs to come off (#3 Phillips OR 10mm socket)

Removed

On every single car I have removed a dash on, I found its easier to drop the steering column. On the R32 - 2 x 12mm bolts

Dropped

Instrument cluster surround next - it was easier to take a pic of it outside the car to show all of the screw locations

Removed

Instrument cluster next - 4 screws in each corner and pull it horizontally straight back (the speedo cable is connected to the back of it)

Unhook the speedo cable from the dash

Remove the screws from the right side of the lower dash - to get this panel over the handbrake when removing it, pull the handbrake up as high as you can get it. You may need to twist the panel slightly too.

Everything bolted to the dash is now removed

Next is the bolts/screws holding the dash in place....

10mm bolt here

Another 10mm bolt here

2 screws here

You will need a long extension and a universal to get the next two bolts
One 10mm bolt here

....and last one here

There are 3 plugs to undo before the dash is free - Sunload sensor (plug is behind the glovebox) and 2 for the glovebox (plugs are above the glovebox)

Dash out

·
9,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Tools required to do the entire job

#2 Phillips screwdriver
#3 Phillips screwdriver (can use a 10mm socket instead)
10mm and 12mm sockets, long extension and universal
#2 Flat blade screwdriver (useful for undoing stubborn plugs and flicking off the small panels to access the bolts by the windscreen)

Thats it :D

·
9,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cheers guys :D

cant believe a Banter has done something usefull :D
General Banter has over 19,000 posts... add mine and there is a total of almost 22,000 posts.
FINALLY, one of them was of some use :dogpile:
(my recipe for making a spud gun was fairly up there in usefulness too I thought lol)

·
Finally enjoying the car
373 Posts
Brilliant guide,,,, seen as I'm doing mine in a few weekends time, thanks a lot bro, you have saved my sanity and the neighbours hearing blue language when i take it on...

·
9,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Brilliant guide,,,, seen as I'm doing mine in a few weekends time, thanks a lot bro, you have saved my sanity and the neighbours hearing blue language when i take it on...
I'm glad it's going to be of some use :bigthumb: about time one of my posts actually helped someone lol
Let me know how you get on with it... or if you encounter any problems while doing it just flick me a pm :)

·
9,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No problem at all mate :)

·
Registered
144 Posts
Does the gear gaitor just prize out with a screwdriver? Treated myself to a pair of new gaitors as the first mod for my GTR but didn't want to break whilst fitting :)

Fantastic write up that though, will certainly be using it over and over again :)

Mike

·
9,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You mean the leather boot/plastic trim part?
You can pull it out by hand, it's not clipped down too hard but a thin flat blade screwdriver or paint scraper will get it out too. Front end up first as there are backward facing locators you'll break if the back comes up first.
Hope that helps :)

·
Registered
144 Posts
That's fantastic :) I haven't had chance to spend much time on mine as of yet, only get a few mins here and there in between other jobs and didn't want to break anything whilst doing it :)

Thanks alot

Mike

1 - 16 of 16 Posts