Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Backyard Mechanic
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
More questions I'm afraid!

I think my GTR is running slightly lumpy on idle, when driving it's fine and pulls well apart from a slight mis fire at the top end.

Can any one suggest what this might be, I've tried cleaning the AFM's and cleaning the coil packs with the refurb guide, but no difference on either the lumpy idle or top end hesitation, are these connected?

More concerned about the lumpy idle at the moment than the hesitation...

Cheers

·
Backyard Mechanic
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
On side note to try and adjust my high idle today I screwed the AAC screw in all the way but still the car idles about 1100rpm and I couldn't adjust this via the ECU screw either??

Another thing is that when bliping the throttle the car takes longer than I'd expect it to, to come back to it's base idle of 1100, it seems to hang around 1500 and very slowly back to 1100, the same when driving and coming to a stop pressing the clutch.

·
Backyard Mechanic
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is the standard ECU though, can the standard ECU be mapped? I think it might be something more simple, when is the next big meet again? If I havn't fixed it by then I'll bring it along...

·
Backyard Mechanic
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
After Andy42uk's advice I sprayed around the plenum/throttle bodies and sure enough the rpm of the engine raised each time I sprayed the carb cleaner on them, so it has to be the gasket/warping.

I would have thought the revs would drop though as my AAC screw was wound right in?

I have started removing the plenum now, it's very nearley there just a couple of bolts that hold the clutch lines to it which are so hard to get to it's unbelievable!

·
4,143 Posts
good to see you sorting it!
by the way whats the gtr like compared to the gtst as you know in thinking of doing what you did!

·
Backyard Mechanic
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well pitbull it has a LOT more power really pulls a lot differently, I havn't had a chance to properley get to grips with it yet, just sorting out the engine so shes sweet, you coming to the big south meet?

·
4,143 Posts
whens that mate and where is it?so its alot quicker/what state of tune is it/
whats the haddling like compared to the gtst?

·
Backyard Mechanic
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
http://www.skylineowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68882&page=8

It's just got filters and a cat back exhaust, can't tell you too much about the handling as I havn't really pushed it because of the repairs it's needing, feels a lot lighter than the 33 that's for sure, I was worried about the downgrade in interior but it really hasn't bothered me, will let you know when I take her for a proper drive.

·
Backyard Mechanic
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well funny you should ask about running costs, I filled up with £65 of fuel and drove 340 miles, mostly motorway, and I'm not shy with the loud pedal :D that is way more than I ever got out of my GTST.

·
4,143 Posts
im really thinking of getting one.just out of intrest how much was it to buy as i see some around 6k but im worried they are lemons

·
Backyard Mechanic
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If I get to lakeside on Sunday I'll take you out, now there's an offer you can't refuse :D £6-7k is about right for a lightly modded one, with just alloys, filter and exhaust and around 60-70,000 miles in fairly good condition, I got mine cheap but needs lots of work which you will see if I make it on Sunday...

·
4,143 Posts
sounds good to me mate.i have been out in 600bhp gtr's but i think they are alittle out of my budget for running and repairs but i haven't been in a standard or stage 1 gtr before so it would be good to see what they go like.

·
Backyard Mechanic
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well this s not good :( I've just finished replacing the gaskets, job went really well, did everything to the book and she is still exactly the same :( :( :( I can't understand it, I'm honestly ready to give up, if I only knew wtf was going on here I'd able to fix it, I just can't work it out, help me please!

·
Backyard Mechanic
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Definantly no hoses left off all connected perfectly, I just can't understand it or how I'm going to fix it, spraying carb cleaner around the first throttle body = no change around the second and third set the revs change upwards, cometic gaskets have a real nice fairly thick rubber seal as well so I'm pretty confident that that is all ok, plus it's exactly the same as before leading me to believe it's something else, maybe it's the injector seals?

what's the next course of action?

So annoying, car runs perfect apart from that, pulls like a train, in the test drive today it runs better than before the job, no top end stutter/misfire. Maybe I did have two problems?

·
Backyard Mechanic
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Some progress today, I sprayed carb cleaner around the injectors and 2 of them are definantly leaking because once again the revs increased, still dont get why the revs are increasing and not dropping? either way this indicates they are leaking... so it looks like I did have 2 problems? still concerning that if I spray around the second and third set of throttle bodies that the revs also still increase? confusing to say the least.

So next on the list is new injector seals.

I have taken a pic of a pipe that has been blocked off, could this also be a problem?

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts