Skyline Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
4,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
right as most of you know i have a stage 1 gtst with coilovers but i am really wanting something faster and i something i can make handle really well but still make go sideways if i so wish.
i was thinking along the lines of a stage 1 r32 gts say 360-400 bhp and something that has coilovers.
what would the perfomance diffrence be like and what would the prefomance doffrence be like if i had a 450bhp r33 gts and a 550 bhp r32 gtr as this would be my goal for ethier.
its 99% street car that doesn't get used much and i would use it for the very little track work
ie had a skyline for 3 years and been on the track once for 10 mins

·
Premium Member
14,725 Posts
I get the feeling the GTS-T @450bhp would be slightly more reliable than the GTR at 550bhp just from nine and friends experience.

Performance wise the GTR will run quicker 1/4 mile because of the grip and round the track because again of the grip and weight i'd put my money on the GTR, but out on the open road because of the 4wd power loss i'd say there wouldnt be a lot in them.

I really dont know which one i'd prefer, its a real tough call.

·
4,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so what about a 450bhp gtr and 450bhp gtst?i am worried in the fact that rb26 engines do seam more likley to spin a bearing why what i have seen and i know a few little things have gone on my gtst but i have looked after the car with oil changes every 3000 miles and aways warmed up and cooled down and a new car is a bit of a gamble.

·
Premium Member
14,725 Posts
See i believe the opposite i know far more GTR engines that have failed.

Stick with your GTS-T!!

GTR is always going to have the grip advantage but there isn't a massive weight difference and the GTS will always have a lot less transmission losses.

I've been very impressed with my GTS's handling, although not as good as my old pulsar its a lot more fun.

·
Member No 48
1,192 Posts
I ran my 600 hp R32 GTR as my daily driver for 15 months, did approx 1000 miles a month. Apart from the astronomical fuel bills and usual servicing costs all it cost me was 2 sets of tyres (I do trackdays as well). Never off the road for more than 24 hrs.

·
Belgium/Netherlands Area Rep
2,060 Posts
stick with the 33 GTSt and mod what you feel that needs to be done :D or get a 32 GTR, but definitely no 32 GTSt

32 GTR gets my vote , but yes its a gamble and the price tag is significantly more than a GTSt

·
Premium Member
14,725 Posts
How many of the engines were over 500bhp?
None of them, but like any car you need to check it over throughly and any services history is a big bonus.

·
4,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i was more worried about a rb26 spinning shells but they do seam to be running more power.
basicly i want best bang for buck i can get without having a car off the road all the time or costing loads when it goes wrong.don't get me wrong i know all about skyline ownership but i haven't had every model so thats where you lot come in

·
Registered
684 Posts
I have had my R32 GTR for four years now, it is running 550 whp. I have never had so much as a hicup with it. I think that if a fella were to keep up on the car and take care of it, it will last. Put in the good stuff to help make the motor last longer. i.e. Oil cooler, good oil, better radiator. And change the fluids regularly. Good water pump and oil pump dont hurt either.

·
4,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
the thing is as well i would be buying a sorted car already as i could not afford to build the car up myself as that would cost near 30k!but my gtst would have all the work done by me

·
Punch me.
9,398 Posts
a 500bhp GTR is a very safe level of tune and 450bhp is a cheap level of tune for a GTR, not both can be said of the GTST

a GTST will be very fun to drive being RWD with this much power and the GTR also has a large degree of grin factor "feeling" very RWD bias but on our bumpy crappy wet english roads the power is more useable and accessable.......if you are looking for more of a track/drift slag the GTST would be very desireable but as a high power road car the GTR tips the balance

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Iv had a R33 GTS-t running 375bhp - 380bhp aprox, and a R32 gtr fairly standard 340bhp aprox, and there is no comaprison, the R32 GTR is by far the better car if you can afford to keep it imo, although i only had the GTR a couple of weeks before the big end bearing spun LOL, if you can afford to spend the cash on a GTR they are so worth it personaly I think it was awesome,
By far the best car I have ever had, Iv had some fast cars in the past too, If I could afford another its the car I would have. Could drive it fast in the WET!! cant do that with any RWD car really, unless ur a much better driver than I am LOL,

stick with the 33 GTSt and mod what you feel that needs to be done :D or get a 32 GTR, but definitely no 32 GTSt

32 GTR gets my vote , but yes its a gamble and the price tag is significantly more than a GTSt
Why slate the R32 GTS-t!!!, Like I said, I have had all three and the R32 GTS-t is the one I have stuck with, 3 years and no major problems £2700 three years ago with about 900 spent on servicing and upkeep -bodykit and other goodies it dint need to spend, and mine has done over 160,000 km, it is the most fun by a long long way on normal roads, maybee in a straght line not the fastest, over 300BHP will be expensive and some work without an engine conversion, but by far the most fun, 250bhp and its much lighter than the 33, IMO the 33 was a bit too heavy, the 32 sprints off the line and is small enough to have fun with everywhere, ITS THE ORIGINAL!!! (Flame froof suite adorned LOL), Depends what your looking for in a car, Fun or big BHP figures and 0-60 times that will impress your mates, Value for money wise the r32 GTS-t kicks hell out the others!!!, never goona get 400BHP out of it without shelling out alot of money!!! but IMO the R32 GTS-t is overlooked too much, if you want to have fun and not to win the traffic light grand prix it is the best, Im gonna get sooooo flamed for this comment!!!.

Try getting the opinion of an R32 GTS-t driver with an rb25 converson, never tried one, but would love to, for me that would be the best of both worlds, 450BHP and the little R32 RWD chassis on an open country road would be heven!!!! and not too expensive, if you could do the conversion yourself.

Oh PS the R32 GTR is such a great car (I cannot stress that enough), Also will hold its value much more than a R33 GTS-t. the GTR is the car everyone wants.

G

·
Since the fall in prices of the 32 GTR's, I think this is a common dilema. I always look at it in terms of how resourceful you can be if you have a GTSt. You only have to look on the forum to know how easy and cheap you can get parts and upgrades for the GTSt, whereas the 32 GTR bits are generally going to cost you more and are a little harder to come by. My opinion... I think that 500 is more than enough for a daily driver, but then I'm not there yet so haven't got the hunger :D :D :D

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.