Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right so I took the R32 to work for the first time since I bought it last month, and after I let the back step out a bit on an easy corner the car felt odd... So I pulled up, got out and had a look around but couldn't see/find anything, it felt like it was crabbing, like one of the rear wheels wasn't in line. So I first thought maybe the diff didn't like my little stunt, and then it dawned on me Skylines have HICAS... Could one of the reaction arms be worn?

Anyone? Never had a "4 wheel steer" car before... Mate of mine said it could be the shock absorbers as well... :eek:

(it's sitting safe at home now, will leave it there till I figure out what's wrong, last thing I want is something to happen on the road)

·
Registered
950 Posts
Its most likey stuck on once side, mine used to do it all the time, used to play up then stick to the left.

My way of sometimes getting it to reset it self was, as i drove it, i would knock the ignition off and back on, and it would sometimes reset.

In the end i had to remove it as it was too much effort.

They steer around 4dgrees... so you would defo feel it, the steering wheel will go about inch off center too.

Bit Hicas, its for girls.

Clarkey.

·
tdi power
13,297 Posts
i was told it moves a max of 2 degree's. if your that worried fit a hicas lock out bar and then it wont try to steer the back wheels

·
Registered
950 Posts
it defo steers 4dgrees, as both of my wheels were 4degrees to the left :)

It was clearly a noticable amount.... turned out i broke a return spring in the hicas unit... you could have well don the same :)

Lock out bar, like the driftworks one i havef itted :D

clarkey.

·
tdi power
13,297 Posts
are you sure it was not that much because you had a problem with your hicas unit?

·
Registered
950 Posts
Either my memory serves me wrong, and its 4dgrees total movment, which would make sence if your saying its only 2 dgrees or it was broken.

Tbf it was 2 years ago :D

·
Registered
199 Posts
Right so I took the R32 to work for the first time since I bought it last month, and after I let the back step out a bit on an easy corner the car felt odd... So I pulled up, got out and had a look around but couldn't see/find anything, it felt like it was crabbing, like one of the rear wheels wasn't in line. So I first thought maybe the diff didn't like my little stunt, and then it dawned on me Skylines have HICAS... Could one of the reaction arms be worn?

Anyone? Never had a "4 wheel steer" car before... Mate of mine said it could be the shock absorbers as well... :eek:

(it's sitting safe at home now, will leave it there till I figure out what's wrong, last thing I want is something to happen on the road)
you can lock hicas with a pair of large washers i.e hub washers.fit them in between the tie rods and the rack ram,make sure you adjust the rear tie rodends to whatever size washers you fit

·
tdi power
13,297 Posts
ah now i see. i was told that hicas can move you wheels 2 degree's in the opposite direction to the way your front wheels are, WHICH would mave a toal movement of 4 degrees for one extreme to the other.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Just for reference, my car when hicas broke was left side -3.83 degrees and right side 3.84dgress.

So thats were i got the 4 degress from as thats what it was out by when itt was off cetner...turning the ingnition on a few tims rested it back to zero.

So explain that.. i can show you my print out too.

clarkey.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts