Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a R32 GTS4 5sp coupe with a bone stock engine. One day I was playing with a subaru brz and put the car into second gear and the car shut off. I towed it home and found out I broke the idler pulley and it threw off the timing. Im guessing since the motors are interference motors i bent/ broke some valves if not worse. Im debating on putting another rb20det in it or swapping it to a rb26dett with the awd setup still. any suggestions. Does anyone know if the rb26 will bolt up?

·
Registered
571 Posts
Even wiring?
Get the loom and ECU with the RB26, that makes life a lot easier. It is a great way to get a budget GTR, if you can keep it standard. If you are anything like me though, you'll be thinking "while the engine is out I can do..." and that's generally where it starts to spiral out of control so have a plan and a budget. I'm doing it with my R33 GTS4 right now, not sure how different the R32 GTS4 will be (considering it already has a turbo) but probably much the same. Aside from the engine and turbos, I needed:

FMIC + pipework
Downpipe
ECU
MAFs + Air Filters

You might also consider:

Clutch
Brakes (and if you are 4 stud, then a 5 stud hub upgrade)

You can see my project thread for more details.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I was in this position a little while back, and decided to build a forged RB20 instead. I guess it depends how much you want to spend, how much power you want and how much work you want to put in.

One thing I would emphasise though- if you are going to do a RB26 swap, bear in mind that the diff ratios are different, so you would need to put the gts4 diff on the front to avoid winding up the diff.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I ordered a new gts4 engine so im just gonna do a higher hp build looking to push 450 to 500 :bounce:

·
Registered
15 Posts
I was in this position a little while back, and decided to build a forged RB20 instead. I guess it depends how much you want to spend, how much power you want and how much work you want to put in.

One thing I would emphasise though- if you are going to do a RB26 swap, bear in mind that the diff ratios are different, so you would need to put the gts4 diff on the front to avoid winding up the diff.
Care to give us an idea on price and what you got out of it? Been considering doing a 26 swap but now thinking about just building the 20.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Care to give us an idea on price and what you got out of it? Been considering doing a 26 swap but now thinking about just building the 20.
The engine was around £2k, which covers machine work and parts, I built it myself.

I've built it to take around 450-500, however it's only just finished so needs running in and the rest of the bits buying (turbo, injectors, mapping) so it will take another £2k odd to get to that point. Whether it would be cheaper to get an RB26 to put out the same power I'm not sure (probably), but the way I'm looking at it is I've got an engine that is essentially brand new, with every potentially weak part uprated, so it should last for a while (Not accounting for any mistakes I've made during assembly!).

I found this thread by Bizzle quite useful when I was doing mine:

My R32 GTS-T daily driver. RB20, big turbo, big power, but small budget.

P.S. If you are thinking of building it and want the best parts, be prepared to spend a lot of time looking/waiting for them. I ordered parts from both Japan and America, and my HG in particular took 7 weeks to arrive!

·
Registered
571 Posts
For about £2.5k you could do an RB26DETT swap to get stock GTR performance. Add another £500-600 for the essentials like ECU, FMIC, downpipe, MAFs & filters. Then you have to fit it or pay someone to do it.

To get it 500bhp would cost quite a bit more - as it would with any GTR. Can't say exactly how much my project has run to but it's probably sitting around £5-7k plus labour.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts