Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning all,

Just a quickie to let you know that after shaggin my discs completely at a track day last weekend, I had to take the plunge and buy some new-uns.

Without measuring them, I contacted 3g brakes www.3gbrakes.co.uk (thanks for link Jock) and purchased some S14 10 groove disks and Mintex M1144 pads. Nervously went to fit them last night and they fit!!! WEYHEY!!

So if you have a '92 GTS-t with four pot calipers then S14 is the one.

BTW, an excellent service from 3G, next day delivery although beware on the website - the prices do not include pads as stated and they do not supply greenstuff any more as they are 'crap'. Their words, not mine. Whole lot cost £230 including delivery so good value IMO.

Now the car has SO-3s all round and decent brakes, all I need is some decent suspension..... ;)

Cheerio,
Pad

·
Dandy Highwayman
1,314 Posts
thats nice to know, let us know how those mintex pads are their sposed to be pretty good.

I've just ordered some tein adjustable susp :D from tdi I let u know if their any good

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Squeaky but early signs are promising. Initial bite is excellent. Trouble is that my rears are totally shagged so have to get them replaced before I really start using them...

Cheers
Pad

·
Registered
554 Posts
Mines just turnes up, Brembro 10 grove discs, mintex 1144 pads, (goodridge braded hose's still waiting), Castrol SRF brake fliud.

Now it's here any1 wanna tell me how to fit it.. :)

349 quid all in by the way, incase some wanted to know

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Peice of the proverbial mate...

Wheels off, up on stands, take the brake fluid reservoir cap off. Using a suitable lever (I used a screwdriver) lever out the flat steel spring that seems to pre-tension the pins. Careful, she'll have yer eyes out...

Take out the wire which stops the two pins top and bottom coming out and then remove said pins by sliding towards you.

Take out the shims from behind the brake pads noting which order they are in. Pads should easily slide out the front of the caliper now.

To remove the caliper, first remove the little back plate thingy (2 bolts, 10mm head i think) which has a bracket for the flexible hose. This will allow you better access to the main caliper bolts and also allow you to move the caliper well away from the disc when removing it.

To remove the caliper you will need a 19mm socket (from memory) and their are 2 bolts holding it on. They is proper tight so you may need a long extension (oo-er). Slide those bolts out backwards and caliper should be free, make sure you dont stress the flexi line.

Disc can then be removed - there are a couple of jacking screws to get them off the hub (dunno the thread size) but I gave mine a judicious whacking with a soft headed mallet to get it off... :)

Clean up all the crap from the caliper, especially where the pads are seated top and bottom and then with a soft lever (like a bit of wood) ease back the pistons as far as you can. They should go back without too much bother, provided you have taken the reservior cap off...

Put new disc on, and hold flat against the hub using a nut of some sort (I used my locking nut) as it will wobble about like mad when you are trying to put the caliper and pads on.

Put caliper back on (dunno torque, fookin tight) and then the pads should slide in easily from the front again (with shims behind). Do NOT FORCE THEM, if they dont slide in then you havent pushed the pistons back far enough...

Reaseembly pins and lock wire as before, cap on reservior, press brake pedal a few times then bed in for about 100miles.

JOBS A GOOD UN!!

Laters,
Pad

1 - 9 of 9 Posts