Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi peeps basicaly im painting the car and want to remove them ,my front and rear screen seals have had it any way but the rear side window seals are ok but im looking for a tidy way to paint round them? and if i take the seals out can i get/or re-use the old ones and can you get new windscreen and rear screen seals ?

·
Registered
300 Posts
You can reuse the side windows, the trim on these is part of the glass. The front and back will need new trims.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Front and rear screen trims complete, (not sure what the individual parts cost, as there are quite a few bits), are approx. £360.

The best way to paint round the rear side windows is to take them out, you can mask up, but as they're so tight to the bodywork you'll be able to see that you haven't removed them.

Depends how thorough you want to be?

Alex B

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Front and rear screen trims complete, (not sure what the individual parts cost, as there are quite a few bits), are approx. £360.

The best way to paint round the rear side windows is to take them out, you can mask up, but as they're so tight to the bodywork you'll be able to see that you haven't removed them.

Depends how thorough you want to be?

Alex B
hi alex i do want to do a good job of it i hate to see a car badly painted even if theres a gd chance il smash it up. i take it there bonded screens ? do you know any tricks to get them out in one peice ?

·
Registered
772 Posts
Yeah they're bonded, we got our window fitter to remove all screens when we painted my GTS, still managed to break the front screen though! We think it was due to one of the bottom corner seams rusting and swelling slightly.

If you don't want to take the front and rear screens out, (we had to to paint the interior and make it easier while we made the cage), you can just remove the trims and mask the screen up. The rear side windows should come out easily without any risk of breaking them.

Alex B

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah they're bonded, we got our window fitter to remove all screens when we painted my GTS, still managed to break the front screen though! We think it was due to one of the bottom corner seams rusting and swelling slightly.

If you don't want to take the front and rear screens out, (we had to to paint the interior and make it easier while we made the cage), you can just remove the trims and mask the screen up. The rear side windows should come out easily without any risk of breaking them.

Alex B
:cheers: il pull out all the old trims and mask to the screen,did you manage to save any of your trims ?

·
Ex Skylineowner
3,444 Posts
Sorry to hijack...so can the trims be replaced without removing the screen? My rears are the same, all cracked and shrunken, currently filled the corner gaps with a gasket sealant :eek:

·
Registered
772 Posts
Yeah they can be changed without removing the screen, at least the insert can, not sure about the trim carriers, I left mine in as I didn't want to replace them, (it's only a drift car, didn't wanna spend £300+ on new trims!)

My trims were so old and brittle they split when they were removed, you may be able to save them if they're in better condition than mine and you're careful!

Alex B

·
Ex Skylineowner
3,444 Posts
Cool. Was hoping that it would be possible to get the old ones pulled off and replaced with cheaper universal jobs at some point. Nice to know its not as big as a job as i had feared! :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts