Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi
my 4wd light stays on somtimes and if i switch off the engine then restart sometimes it goes off. it doesnt happen often but i need advice had a search but what i could find talked about error codes and things not sure what or where i should be looking

·
confused.com
6,592 Posts
have you checked the fluid? ther is a resevoir inthe rear drivers side (access panel inthe boot) the fluid might need changing. also get her up on ramps and check down the side of the gear box for any suspect leaks. the fourwheel drive fluid has a pipe running on the drivers side just above the gearbox.

look up "Attessa" on here as thats the 4wd system you have so should help you start to diagnose any obvious fault/leak

·
Registered
35 Posts
Open the boot, and count the number of flashes from the diagnostic LED on the ATTESA computer.

1 – Right front wheel speed sensor or circuit
2 – Left front wheel speed sensor or circuit
3 – Right rear wheel speed sensor or circuit
4 – Left rear wheel speed sensor or circuit

5 – ABS right front wheel actuator solenoid or circuit
6 – ABS front front wheel actuator solenoid or circuit
7 – ABS rear wheel actuator solenoid or circuit
8 – ABS actuator motor, motor relay or circuit
9 – ABS actuator relay or circuit

10 – ETS control unit power supply or circuit
11 – Fore-and-aft G sensor 1 or circuit
12 – Fore-and-aft G sensor 2 or circuit
13 – Fore-and-aft G sensor 1, fore-and-aft G sensor 2
14 – G sensor power supply 1 or circuit
15 – G sensor power supply 2 or circuit
16 – Lateral G sensor or circuit

17 – Air bleed connector or circuit
18 – ETS pressure switch or circuit
19 – ETS motor, motor relay or circuit
20 – ETS solenoid or circuit
21 – Throttle sensor or circuit
22 – ETS oil level switch or circuit

24 or continually ON or OFF – ETS control unit, ground or circuit

·
confused.com
6,592 Posts
or do what he said?^^^^ i think plumbing then electrical ....(me and elctrics .......like magnesium and water .....generally leads to a bang when mixed)

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Open the boot, and count the number of flashes from the diagnostic LED on the ATTESA computer.

1 – Right front wheel speed sensor or circuit
2 – Left front wheel speed sensor or circuit
3 – Right rear wheel speed sensor or circuit
4 – Left rear wheel speed sensor or circuit

5 – ABS right front wheel actuator solenoid or circuit
6 – ABS front front wheel actuator solenoid or circuit
7 – ABS rear wheel actuator solenoid or circuit
8 – ABS actuator motor, motor relay or circuit
9 – ABS actuator relay or circuit

10 – ETS control unit power supply or circuit
11 – Fore-and-aft G sensor 1 or circuit
12 – Fore-and-aft G sensor 2 or circuit
13 – Fore-and-aft G sensor 1, fore-and-aft G sensor 2
14 – G sensor power supply 1 or circuit
15 – G sensor power supply 2 or circuit
16 – Lateral G sensor or circuit

17 – Air bleed connector or circuit
18 – ETS pressure switch or circuit
19 – ETS motor, motor relay or circuit
20 – ETS solenoid or circuit
21 – Throttle sensor or circuit
22 – ETS oil level switch or circuit

24 or continually ON or OFF – ETS control unit, ground or circuit
this may sound thick but not sure where is the computer is and when it flashes how do you tell when to start counting is there a big gap between say 15 flashes and the next 15 ???

·
Registered
35 Posts
The ATTESA ECU is located under the rear parcel tray. It is almost centre line with the car. There is a small diagnostic LED present on the bottom. If you climb in the boot, and look up towards the parcel tray you should see it.

Have a look at the attachment.

The error codes are divided by a long pause. See the second attachment for how to read the LED code.

If you are handy with a soldering iron the g-sensors can be repaired (should the ECU indicate the fault being the g-sensor) They are very simple devices but 20 years old now.
In my experience a common problem is the capacitors leak onto other components on the board shorting them out. Replacing the capacitors and a quick clean normally fixes the problem.

The other issue I've come across is the pins in the plugs become dirty and stop making good contact.

Attachments

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The ATTESA ECU is located under the rear parcel tray. It is almost centre line with the car. There is a small diagnostic LED present on the bottom. If you climb in the boot, and look up towards the parcel tray you should see it.

Have a look at the attachment.

The error codes are divided by a long pause. See the second attachment for how to read the LED code.

If you are handy with a soldering iron the g-sensors can be repaired (should the ECU indicate the fault being the g-sensor) They are very simple devices but 20 years old now.
In my experience a common problem is the capacitors leak onto other components on the board shorting them out. Replacing the capacitors and a quick clean normally fixes the problem.

The other issue I've come across is the pins in the plugs become dirty and stop making good contact.
thanks had seen the box just didnt know wot it woz lol :eek:

here's another question do i need to check it only when the 4wd light wont go out with the engine running ?? :eek: :eek: :eek:
or will it always log the fault ???

·
Registered
35 Posts
From memory it will always log the fault....but it is best to check it with the engine running as then the hydraulic pump has been run etc (so the ECU has gone through a full diagnostics)

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the light came on again today checked the flashing red light
and there was 18 – ETS pressure switch or circuit
what do i do next ( where is the switch or circuit and how do i check/repair etc )

·
confused.com
6,592 Posts
can we make this a sticky ? this stuff aplies to the gtr and gts4 guys (me!) and will be really usesfull if we get similar problem?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
is it possable to repair the " 18 – ETS pressure switch or circuit "
or will i have to find a new/second hand one ??
and is it expensive ???

thanx

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
any ideas eh ? eh ? eh ?:bounce: :bounce: :bounce::bounce::bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce::bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce::bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce::bounce: :bounce::bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce::bounce: :bounce::bounce:

·
Registered
35 Posts
I haven't take an ETS hydraulic unit apart so I can't say. The manual mentions that is isn't repairable but I doubt that ;)

Unfortunately I think your only option is to source a second hand unit.

Does the loom from the ETS unit to the ECU appear intact? Not damaged etc?

Does the error only occur after driving a short while or straight away?

Does your 4WD work at all?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I haven't take an ETS hydraulic unit apart so I can't say. The manual mentions that is isn't repairable but I doubt that ;)

Unfortunately I think your only option is to source a second hand unit.

Does the loom from the ETS unit to the ECU appear intact? Not damaged etc?

Does the error only occur after driving a short while or straight away?

Does your 4WD work at all?
the light always comes on at start up (normal) but on the odd time does'nt go off but if re-start the engine 99% of the time it goes out as normal

it does'nt come on as i'm driving

and the front torque % gauge shows its working in wet weather

not been able to get under to have a look yet so dont know wot the wires are like

thanx for the advice

·
Registered
35 Posts
99% success is fairly good!

Start simple I suppose, make sure the loom in the back of the ETS computer is firmly plugged in. If you get a chance to jack the car up make sure the ETS hydraulic unit loom is also firmly plugged in.

Do you have any signs of water damage in the boot? Lift the carpet up and check the spare wheel well for rust or flotsam.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts