Skyline Owners Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my Skyline about 14 months ago. It is an R32 GTS-T Type M. It was a fairly standard car with HKS exhaust, HKS Mushroom Filter, HKS BOV & Mines ECU. At the time i was loving driving the car in the spec it was and driving about with my friends GTO TT.

Here are pics of it in original spec.

I went to a RWYB at Santa Pod which i ran some impressive times (14.1) for the mods on car. These times were ran with 255 rear tyres at 15psi to aid traction which it did.

Here is what it looked like with them on.

Blackett Photography Thanks Blackett Photogrophy for pic!!

After driving it a little more i began pushing the car harder because i was used to the power, enevitablly the engine died(not a major death slightly worn big ends!) probably from det'ing from using mines ecu and 98 RON Fuel and over revving it, hey we all live and learn!!

The car has been sat for about 8 months getting rusty etc. Then one day i had the inspiration i needed. Thanks Bryn! A very very quality R32 was being built with an SR20DET. This looked awesome and it lives upto what i believe in ie lightweight and perfect balance.

I finally got off my arse and bought myself an engine, thanks a lot PPS off of the SXOC. The conversion kit included:

Engine with all ancilleries and looms, Braided Oil Hoses and Apex Exhaust Manifold.
ECU.
Gearbox.
Propshaft.
Front Crossmember.
Radiator.
Intercooler Pipes.
Water Pipes.
Engine Mounts.
Engine Harness to main Harness connector.
Apexi Air Filter.
Plus i bought the R33 GTR Intercooler they had.

After getting engine out the engine bay looked quite big and empty.

So decided to fill it (partly) with the SR20DET. The Front Crossmember came out easy which was swiftly replaced with the SR20DET Crossmember as shown below.

The top one is the SR20DET Crossmember.

The fit of the SR20DET Crossmember was a piece of piss! It went in and looked std.

We then added the engine mounts to engine and lowered into engine bay. The engine dropped straight in easy as pie(again, Skylines are so easy to work on, not sure on 200SX but must be from the parts im using).

Once in i wired the engine loom up and fed the loom into the interior. On the 200SX it goes through firewall apparently but on the skyline it goes through the passenger wing, no big probs with that!

Day 2

When the crossmember was out i removed all the Hicas pipes front to back just leaving one pipe for the power steering pump. the fitment of the pipe from the R32 is quite a bit bigger than the SR20DET so a little bodge was made up. Using the Connection off the R32 pump i unbolted it and joined to the 200SX one. using the crush washers it made a perfect seal as if Nissan new it was meant to be!! Although the angle of the pipe is not ideal it works. The Fluid tank for power steering from the 200SX was used and mounted (wonky,quick fix) to the existing holes for R32 tank.

The Gearbox was then fitted after and the fitting is exactly the same as the R32 box, cant remember if the gearknob was as far back as this one but it all fits great, no restriction on the lever at all

The Next Part was quite daunting!, although i had been given the propshaft off of the 200SX I was concerned i would have to get the 2 props std R32 & 200SX mated together and balnced costing money i dont have now until payday!! We then examined the R32 prop, which looked like it might work. I thought sod it if it doesnt fit i will wait til next month and get a 1 piece aluminium one made up(think there is a group buy on skylineforums). The prop went in as normal with a little wiggly woo! Prop went all the way in no kinks from being too short mounts held it straight in normal position.

I was extremely happy with this, so ordered me and my friend Dan who has been a real good friend a Dominoes Pizza which they cocked up so we got another free 2 Large Pizzas for 9.99 Bargain!!

I would just like to say I wouldnt be able to do half of this without him (there ya go Dan i do appreciate you!!).

The Dash is out of the Car awaiting the Carbon/Fibreglass Dash from a Company called Ziax on the skyline forums. Mainly for looks but will be a bit lighter also.

Current State of interior:

The next Part is to Join fuel pipes and exchange pump and regulator for Walbro & Sard Reg. Also fit 200SX Car loom front to back for ease of wiring(im lazy! ish) Also need to mate the R32 Downpipe to the SR20DET Turbo Elbow, are the flanges different?? or just needs cutting and turning a little??
need to fit the R32 Brembo rears and get intercooler pipes fab'd up.

After that i will be getting the GT-R Rear arches to accompany the front GT-R Arches, im using these for extra grip so can get some nice Fat(not phat!!) 10.5" wheels on back. After that the Cage will go in and finish the interior.

Car with current wheels 8X17" on R32 GT-R Arches and side pics

Wheels,Suspension and respray are next but still a long way off.

I don't have sponsers or anyone else helping out with funds so am doing it with cold hard cash with lots of overtime. No credit allowed!!

Hope you enjoy the long read and will update with pics soon.

John

·
Space Filler
3,218 Posts
With the GTR front arches, is there a noticable difference when you look at it along with the standard rear arches? Saw someone asking about something similar recently, and it got me wondering how they looked together.

·
Premium Member
14,725 Posts
Thats one hell of a good write up and project your doing, cant wait to see the finished project.

What made you go for the SR20DET and not the bigger RB25DET like most do?
or just replace with another RB20DET.

Just with my past experience with the SR20DET that one engine i'd never go back to.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thats one hell of a good write up and project your doing, cant wait to see the finished project.

What made you go for the SR20DET and not the bigger RB25DET like most do?
or just replace with another RB20DET.

Just with my past experience with the SR20DET that one engine i'd never go back to.

the 200sx is a uk car meaning service parts and tuning parts are easily available. Also the engine is a lot lighter and gives a better front / rear balance. Is dedicated track car(when finished)

Thanks John

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
With the GTR front arches, is there a noticable difference when you look at it along with the standard rear arches? Saw someone asking about something similar recently, and it got me wondering how they looked together.
Really you need the GT-R rear arches i suppose you could get away with it, but it would always look not right somehow!!

Thanks John

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
thats one really different car you got there! you put a lot of thought into this and it shows!!!
keep us posted on how its going and what upgrades you fit.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
got fed up of trying to figure out skyline wiring so ripped out the complete car loom and fitted the 200sx one, all i have to do now is pretty much change 200sx light plugs to Skyline ones. Gotta get some fuel pipeand intercooler pipework made up. Also the 200SX rad hose dont fit and the s14 rad doesnt line up with the existing mount points.

Do i use a skyline rad then get some of these http://www.samcosport.com/flex.asp to join up rad to engine or bodge some brackets??

Also need some kind of engine cooling fans dont want to spend a fortune. Should i go down scrappy for cheap temp fix or hold out for some flexlites??

For the dash i will be using either idividual gauges or a stack style dash. What would be better/cheaper?

Thanks John

1 - 9 of 9 Posts