Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi to all nutters! :dogpile:

was wounderind what to do? iv got 33 gtst s2 few options

a. respray the bonnet
b. fit a gtr bonnet
c. ask santa for carbon kr bonnet:yum:
d. split the the bonnet so it one skin and weld bars in to make rigid?

let me know what you think guys im also putting it on dampers :smoker:

·
tdi power
13,297 Posts
er there is a benifit of fitting a gtr bonnet if it would fit as they are NOT made from steel and are far lighter than a gtst bonnet and they are not wider just longer :)

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
if its abit longer id have to modify it coz the standard bonnet just overhangs my bumper and its a gud look i think? but if it over hangs to far i think it will spoil the look. but im looking at other things too, any one swap bonnet gtr for gts s2 lol. so going to get xmas over with and do a dyno run with a few mate in there old quick ford lol next month an a fmic.

·
tdi power
13,297 Posts
i think the gtr one will only fit a spec 1

·
tdi power
13,297 Posts
no problem, keep a eye out on ebay as some cheap ones do and will turn up in the end :)

·
BEDFORDSHIRE......
999 Posts
hi viniboy would i help to take the second skin off and work from there coz iv not done much body work my self in the past? or would this put the bonnet out of shape to much. i could weld some strenthaning bars in to help?
Hello mate. A good long term mate of mine has just done a big job on he's Prelude bonnet. I am going over there either monday or tuesday. I will take a few pictures and show them to you bud. Just really to see what can be done. I am not sure about the strength of the bonnet but TBH if you use a strut brace from leg to leg I dont think the bonnet strength will make much difference. I have a fibre glass bonnet on my 300ZX and will be fitting a brace soon as the original bonnet may be made as part of the bracing of the front of the car. I will post them up on this thread for you once I have them mate.

vini

·
Registered
234 Posts
d. split the the bonnet so it one skin and weld bars in to make rigid?

let me know what you think guys im also putting it on dampers :smoker:
I know some people do remove the inner skin on bonnets, but this is all there is really to give it some strength. I would have thought as a minimum you would need to keep the outer frame and fit bonnet pins/aerocatches.
As for welding bars in - you would need to be pretty good/ careful at welding or use a TIG to avoid local distortion where the bars are welded to the bonnet outer skin. If you look at the standard bonnet, you will probably find that the inner skin is actually bonded on to the underside of the bonnet, not welded, probably for this reason.
People do do it though - maybe you could test it out on a cheap/ free spare bonnet off a different car?

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
cheers for the info man im sure the lads in the body shop would give me a hand to remove the skin, tig is gud coz iv got tig and arc welder :) wounder if anyone would have a spare bonnet lying round for me to mod and put some tasty vents in nothing over the top though!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts