Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
are the r33 calipers the same size as the r32 ones or will i need to get new ones?
the problem is that i've gone and got some r33 front discs but i'm now wondering if i should have bought the calipers aswell.
can anyone shed some light on this as my standard ones are toast!
and i need to be able to stop before xmas ( and not do this to cars that stop in front of me):bananadie:

·
Administrator
25,964 Posts
not sure mate but i may be getting r32gtr complete front brakes soon and i wanted to fit them to mine as im sure there uprated but if not they will be going mate

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah, thats why i got these ones but me and ian will try the ones from his soon (hopefully)

·
tdi power
13,297 Posts
oh will we now? yes of course we will

·
Registered
828 Posts
No the calipers are different on the R32 mate.
Something tells me though that the R33 calipers bolt straight onto the r32's though and use the r33 disc's to.
R32 brakes are 280mm whereas R33 are 296mm.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Wisecobandit has it in one virtually..

Problem is that some R33's have 4 stud 280mm and some have 5 stud 296mm. The 4 stud 280mm have 2 pot floating calipers whilst the 5 stud 296mm have 4 pot calipers. The R32 from the 89 - 93 period at least has the 4 stud 2 pot floating caliper with 280mm disc set up. You cannot fit the 296mm discs into the 280mm 2 pot calipers, there are also differences in disc thickness. If you change the calipers the flexi pipes may not fit, I just got braided made up in one piece to fit.

Also the 296mm discs are 5 stud so will require redrilling if you have the 4 stud hubs, easy job using the 4 stud hubs as a template though. You will probably need bigger wheels to accomodate the upgrade as the 4 pots stand off a bit further, the mounting holes are spaced identical but the caliper is thicker.

DBA discs are available in the 280mm plain, part No. 953 and grooved, part No.953S (for slotted), Abbey have available. They also have the DBA 296mm but I can't recall the part numbers. If you do upgrade to the 296mm you'd have to fit the calipers, Abbey can redrill 5 stud discs to 4 stud if you have the 4 stud.

If you have any specific queries fire away, but first I would need to know if you have 2 pot floaters or 4 pot. It's well worth whipping a wheel off and having a look and a measure.

Aitch

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanx to both wiseco and aitch for their help on this.
just so i can get a definative veiw on this ,i have 4 pot calipers and 5stud discs and have just fitted r34 gtt alloys.
now this said , is it going to be an easy swap or is it going to need new pipe work?
hope this is understandable as my descriptions leave a bit to chance.
i may just ask wisecobandit on sunday if he will have a look see, but would like to do something with them before the weekend.
thanx again

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Can you clarify, when you say you have 5 stud discs and 4 pot calipers, are you referring to the original parts fitted to the car or some you have aquired?

Aitch

·
Censored
7,453 Posts
aitch, he has a turbo car, so 5 stud hubs (also clarified by the fitment of GTT alloys).

He has bought R33 discs, which are 99% likely to be 5 stud, as there are relatively few non-turbo cars out there with 4 stud hubs.

·
tdi power
13,297 Posts
yes they are five stud disks which he got, would dave just need to replace the caliper mounting bracket or would he have to change the callipers too?

·
tdi power
13,297 Posts
oh sorry to thread steal but the 34 gtt alloys i sourced him do really suit the car :D

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Cheers Hi5, missed the "34" bit!

Problem for me now is I've never seen a 4 pot caliper setup on 280mm discs, only 2 pot floaters. So, not familiar with the calipers, I would think though you would need to change the calipers for R33's without a doubt. That's not an issue as they drop straight in, the mountings are the same. It's an hours job if you get sorted in advance, get the calipers and check the flexi pipework to ensure they'll reach, I needed new pipework when I upgraded mine, I had braided made to order from Earle's at Silverstone for around £35.

Well worth the effort incidentally, the difference is much more than I anticipated.

Aitch

·
tdi power
13,297 Posts
wisecobandit knows someone who will make hoses up for cars, any kind you want within reason eg brake master cylinder to caliper or oil feeds. he is very good and his prices are good from what i was told. he does stuff for moto gp bikes, superbike temas and others

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
well these pics should show that the discs i have fitted to my car at present are far too small for the car!
i,ve got the feeling that these might have come off an s13. i do have 4 pot calipers but the braking area is so small i think they have mini pads in there.
please tell me if you have any ideas?

the backing plate is at least an inch larger than the disc!!!! wtf!!!!

·
Registered
828 Posts
Whats the diameter of the disc?Just measure the complete the diameter.
That should give an indication but agreed they do look small but s13's where 4 stud i believe as i think they went 5 stud with the s14?

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
they measure roughly 265-270mm. my replacements are 296mm coz they are easier to measure when not on the car.
is this any help?

·
Registered
828 Posts
Well the R32's use 280mm disc so it looks like they are the incorrect disc for some reason.Even the zx300 and sx14 uses the same 280mm disc.(even the 4 stud s13/R32 where 280mm)

If i where you i would get some R33 calipers and fit the R33 discs.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts