Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My gearbox is now messing up again. It's just had a new exedy twin plate clutch installed with fresh shockproof oil. If I change fast in and out of 4th gear it crunches, everytime without fail. If I change into 4th at low rpm, and slowly engage the gear it drops in fine. If I double clutch and as I rev pull it close to 4th it drops from 5th to 4th nicely. Would this sound like a synchro issue? If so, could anyone advise me on how to resolve this issue?

Would a second hand box be worth putting in?

Dogbox maybe? But very expensive for me.

Where do I get synchros from? Would this be from Nissan? PPG informed me that they use OEM parts, so told me to speak to Nissan directly.

Does any know the costs of putting in new synchros into the gearbox?

Also my Exedy Twin Plate, on the day that I picked it up, rattled on engagement as it should. Now after about 1,000 miles it doesnt rattle at all. Is this a concern or due to bedding in? It's the Hyper Twin, which was bought brand new.

Thanks in advance.

·
tdi power
13,297 Posts
it could poss be that the clutch is not fully releasing when you press the pedal.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Would it not do that with every gear change?

Would it also not still do that even when I change at low revs?

·
Peppered schlong
860 Posts
Does sound like a synchro problem. When you are changing from 3rd to 4th and letting the revs drop does it go in fine? And drops in fine when changing down from 5th to 4th with slightly raised revs?

·
Registered
291 Posts
sounds exactly like my problem,was looking at putting in shockproof as many people have said it works but its only really masking the problem,i have enquired about a gearbox rebuild,got quotes of £400 for a rebuild with 4th gear synchro replaced and main bearings,was looking to get all synchros replaced but prices keep on rising

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can change down to 4th if I let off the power, rev a little, and slowly engage 4th.

Sounds like a synchro issue. Where's best to contact for having it looked at?

·
this is me take it or do one....that simple
4,082 Posts
syncro has gone fella now you can either pay for it to be reconned or buy a second hand gb. BUT WHATS to say that the gb you buy second hand wont have the same problem later on, i personally would go with a rebuild on the 4th syncro pal thats what i did

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Does sound like a synchro problem. When you are changing from 3rd to 4th and letting the revs drop does it go in fine? And drops in fine when changing down from 5th to 4th with slightly raised revs?
When I go from 3rd to 4th I change at about 40mph, and let off the power and change slightly slower than normal.

when I go from 5th to 4th I clutch in, neutral, clutch out, rev, clutch in and rev a little as I slip it into 4th and it goes in like a dream. Again, not at high speeds.

·
Peppered schlong
860 Posts
Sorry, i have no idea what sort of cost it would be to repair the gearbox. I would imagine it's going to be quite expensive. Might be worth getting a quote to repair and a price for replacement gearbox.
The bearings in my gearbox are very worn and the input shaft wobbles around like a dick in a bucket, had oil replaced a few months ago and it improved slightly, but ultimately i will have it replaced (at the Moff shop).
Mine has an RB20det gearbox so will be considerably cheaper than yours.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts