Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

Spec:
R33 Spec 2
HKS F-CON Pro piggy back.
MAP sensor
Wideband
Stock engine / top mount turbo

I'd be interested in any thoughts on this. After a long journey recently (no problems), the next day I fired up and immediately the engine note sounded wrong and the AFR was way too rich (<10). I tried driving up the road and it mostly cleared up but it occasionally hesitated. I was away from home so I had to attempt the drive back and actually on the motorway it was driving fine. The only noticeable problem was it was running rich. My AFRs were about 0.5 - 1.0 lower than they should normally be (i.e. running about 14 when I mostly mapped between 14.5 and 15.0, for off boost driving). A few times there was a little hesitation. This problem seems to happen mostly at fairly low revs / standard driving. At higher revs it seems to run just fine (although rich). Right now it idles fine and generally seems to be OK apart from the slightly rich mixture.

I have verified the stock ECU is throwing a fault code 21. I have cleared this, and started up again, and verfied that the fault 21 returns just from starting. I don't know if this is "normal" for my setup. (I also get the MAF error but I assume that's because there isn't one).

It seems the most likely culprit is a failing coil pack or the coil pack harness. Since these are old components I decided to just go for the Audi R8 coil conversion. I now have the parts but haven't made any changes yet.

Mostly I'd like to know why it is running rich. Does anyone know if the stock ECU goes into a kind of "limp" mode with an ignition fault? I wonder if the ignition error is causing the stock ECU to run a bit richer....

Thanks

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok for anyone interested, I installed the R8 coil packs (very straigthtforward) and apparently my FCON Pro did not want to fire with them. No spark at all, engine just turned over. Kind of weird because it works ok with the stock coil packs (apart from running rich). I removed the FCON entirely and the stock ECU fired right up. I also cleared the fault codes from the stock ECU and it started without throwing any new codes (reporting code 55 - no problems).

So, I guess the problems boil down to:
1) FCON is knackered
2) FCON wiring has become dodgy (I checked it all over and couldn't find any obvious problems).
3) MAP sensor is knackered
4) FCON has some strange hatred of R8 coils

When I work out how to do it I will rest the FCON and upload the mapping again.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts