Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1993 Nissan Skyline Gtst Manual
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

First post! basically my Spec 1 R33 GTST has been sat for a while and then I decided to start using it again regularly it has been fine for months until yesterday..

I decided to put new sparkplugs and coil packs as I was having an issue where I started to get a bit of a misfire on boost, so been driving off boost since.

Changed the packs with a conversion kit to the VW red top coil packs and NGK Iridium spark plugs. After that it wont start the car just turns over and sounded like it wanted to start but the SECOND it tries to fire it just goes back to cranking again and wont catch properly?

I am fairly mechanically minded but I am completely lost I have checked for spark and fuel its definitely got both as when I pulled the plugs back out they were soaked in fuel.
I have even put there old packs and plugs back in and its still just turning over I thought id ask some of you guys first incase its something fairly obvious/something you have experienced before :) or if there is certain ways to find out if parts are failing etc

any help would be MUCH appreciated as I am completely lost (and the fact that I look like a d**k every time I go to try start my car haha) :dunno:

Thanks in advance!

Joel
Engine r33.jpg

·
Terry
2,055 Posts
If it is a spec 1 I understood there to be an ignition amplifier at the back of the cover. Have you done away with that?

Or do you have the Spec 2 type engine that didn’t need it?

There seems to be a Spec 1.5 that has a mixture of both Spec 1 and 2 perhaps yours falls into that category.

Has the cas sensor been disturbed or not plugged in properly or the main plug for the coil pack loom I am sure there are other reasons but those more experienced will hopefully jump in and let you know. Good luck the setup does look nice though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is a spec 1 and with the new loom it gets rid of the amplifier. I am not sure about the cas I will have to take a look tomorrow its been okay for months so its just strange that its happened when the plugs and coils are changed.

the throttle is plug in it has a blank plug on it as well.

·
Super Moderator
9,036 Posts
That's odd because if no TPS is detected it will cause running problems, is the ECU std?
Has it got a strong spark? As the wet plugs say it hasn't or is just not catching because of another issue, make sure you haven't disturbed anything during the swap and have you checked the FPR and pipework.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It was starting on the button right up until I swapped everything the spark looked fairly strong to me but I am not an expert I am sure its on the stock ecu I still have the speed limiter.

Yes I have all of pipework attached when I was cranking

·
Super Moderator
9,036 Posts
I would go back and double check everything you have done to make sure and if that does not solve it then replace with the std items and see if it starts then, and you should be able to locate the problem with the new coils/wiring.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All fixed now it turned out the custom loom had been pinned in the wrong firing order

·
Super Moderator
9,036 Posts
Glad its fixed...always good to double-check wiring.

Reactions: Joelp533

·
Registered
1993 R33 GTS25T
6 Posts
Hi Guys,

First post! basically my Spec 1 R33 GTST has been sat for a while and then I decided to start using it again regularly it has been fine for months until yesterday..

I decided to put new sparkplugs and coil packs as I was having an issue where I started to get a bit of a misfire on boost, so been driving off boost since.

Changed the packs with a conversion kit to the VW red top coil packs and NGK Iridium spark plugs. After that it wont start the car just turns over and sounded like it wanted to start but the SECOND it tries to fire it just goes back to cranking again and wont catch properly?

I am fairly mechanically minded but I am completely lost I have checked for spark and fuel its definitely got both as when I pulled the plugs back out they were soaked in fuel.
I have even put there old packs and plugs back in and its still just turning over I thought id ask some of you guys first incase its something fairly obvious/something you have experienced before :) or if there is certain ways to find out if parts are failing etc

any help would be MUCH appreciated as I am completely lost (and the fact that I look like a d**k every time I go to try start my car haha) :dunno:

Thanks in advance!

Joel
View attachment 126734
Where did you get the mounting bracket/cover? I just ordered a set of R8 red tops from 50 Ignite, comes with mounting bracket but it doesn’t cover the whole area like yours

1 - 13 of 13 Posts