Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Basically Im about to change my fuel pump as think mine is struggling. Obvious choices are Walbro and R32/33/34 GTR etc. What is the easiest one to fit? How long to do it? Also is there any soldering etc needed. I will be doing the job in my streets car park area so have no access to mains power etc.

Any help greatly received.

Ben

·
Registered
577 Posts
Hello fellow Horshamite,

I changed mine for a Nismo pump, and it wasn't too bad a job in the end.
There's no soldering needed, basically disconnect the battery, remove the fuel pump cover plate in the boot, disconnect the hoses (remembering which pipe the hoses came from) disconnect electrical plug, you may need a piece of wood to use as a drift and a hammer to get the large plastic knurled ring undone that holds the pump in, then reach in and slide the pump assembly out of its runners and up out of the hole.
Assembly is the reverse of the above.
From memory took about 1hr30mins-2hrs, but I wasn't in any hurry.
HTH

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi mate,

So do the aftermarket pumps fit on the slide fine? I presume its better if your fuel tank is nearly empty whilst doing this?

Cheers

Ben

·
Registered
577 Posts
Yeah, there's like a double slot that the bracket slides into, although you can't really see it and have to do it by feel, just make sure you don't let go of the pump until you're happy it has engaged into the slots, you don't want to drop it into the tank.
The pump I got came with new jubilee clips and fuel pipes, rubber gasket etc. Once you've got the old one out, just lay it on a cloth or something and it should be fairly obvious how it attaches to the bracket.
And yes something like a quarter of a tank.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Did you get your new fuel pump sorted Ben? If not and you want a hand I'm back off my Hols now and am happy to help. You can use my drive if it helps, got to be better than a car park.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi mate,

I've currently got hold of a 300zx TT Fuel pump that has been crudely fitted to an R33 GTST bracket but am laid up at the moment with back trouble so car work is on hold. But could do with your help at some point.

Regards

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi mate,

Whereabouts are you in Horsham? I dont see that many around here only a very nice R32 GTR in Graphite Grey (my next car!). Are you after anything for yours at present as I tend to be able to pick up plenty of bits from overseas. Pm me.

Regards

Ben

·
User of V-power
1,112 Posts
Im an IT guy and i managed to fit a walbro in mine, hardest part was getting the screw top off of the top of the tank, rest of the job was easy, took me about 2 hours, wasent rushing,

do it with the tank nearly empty! makes it easier and you dont end up smelling like a Shell station for the next 10 days.

I fitted the Walbro 255Lph not sure on the model number but it was recommended for my R33 GTS-T, told its good for up to 400hp? prob more like 350bhp though, my aim is 300 so should be all good.

Cheers
Dazzler

·
Registered
92 Posts
Yeah the cap is a pain in the arse!

I managed to drop apair of pliers in my fuel tank!! not a good move!:swear: got them out tho........:eek:

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I remember doing my S14 which wasn't the easiest as think the access is even worse than the R33. Once Im fit and able I will give it a go.

Regards

·
Registered
165 Posts
hey guys, im trying to fit the walbro pump at the moment

taken the panel off, the electrical connections are off, and also 2 of 3 pipes are off

now i have a problem with the pipe closest too the boot, as i got the clip off it, but i cant slide it off

anyone got any ideas how i can do this

i got the ring off also, so thats a bit of good news, just this 1 pipe i need to remove and bingo, i can then got to the pupm and replace it

·
Track addict
4,907 Posts
Try gently prising it off with a flat blade screw driver, whilst twisting it. They seem to stick to the metal pipes after a while, which makes things difficult but it will come off eventually.

·
Registered
165 Posts
this looks harder than it sounds

i got the pipe off now, so the tank unit is out and i got into the tank, i can see where the fuel pipe is going, and the place it goes looks nothing like the fuel pump i have, i have the walbro by the way

also, it does move with the bracket, i can slide it up, but i am really unsure of what to do, coz im sure that the bracket wont come out of the tank will it?

looking at the instructions it mentioes a retainer on the bracket, and there is a screw to take out, im really not wanting to do that as if i drop the screw im buggered

anyone got any suggestions as i may just get this taken to a garage when its open and get it done there

·
User of V-power
1,112 Posts
I used the one from the original filter as it was clean and in good condition, also slightly bigger,

Still have the walbro one here though just in case,

Cheers
Dazzler

1 - 20 of 22 Posts