Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys, I have a 95 gtst that is mostly stock. Only mods are an hks cool air intake and trust muffler that is pretty damn quiet.

Not satisfied with how this thing pulls. The car is fun handling wise, but without an actual map reading It feels like it's running a weak 200hp/150kw.

I'd be happy to get it running 300hp/220
I've been reading this tuning guide:

Nissan Skyline R33 GTS-T Tuning Guide

From the looks of it, a solid stage 1 mod would be boost controller, exhaust, clutch, fuel pump, airflow meter, aftermarket ecu, FMIC, and an aftermarket boost gauge.

Assuming the stock boost on these cars are 5-7psi, could I safely run 10 psi with the stock turbo along with the listed supporting mods? What's the most I can push without sacrificing reliability? I am also assuming I would need to immediately install an aftermarket boost gauge for the manual controller so I don't accidentally run too much boost. Once I have an idea of how much boost to run, how can I accurately choose what sized intercooler to get, since they're rated for power and not the amount of boost? I don't want to get a FMIC that requires me to cut the body just to find out it overcompensates and decreases throttle response or overall performance.

For now, I'm looking to get an entire new exhaust system, pretty sure this jjr one is turboback and I'm tempted to order it today. I won't have a problem with passing emissions with this will I? I'm military so it'd make life easier to be able to pass.

(JJR Hyperflow Complete Exhaust System - Nissan Skyline ECR33 (RB25DET) - Exhaust Systems - Exhaust - Engine)

The reason for the next exhaust is because the current one is pretty caked with rust, and I'd rather buy a complete exhaust rather than dealing with trying to make different parts fit.

This is my first car so I thought I'd finally post here after researching to get some final insight before I make any stupid decisions or do anything half-assed without even knowing it.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
i personally wouldn't bother with an uprated fuel pump, clutch, ecu or boost gauge for stage 1.

FMIC, exhaust, boost controller and decat with boost turned up to 0.8bar should see you happy at about 280, a custom map should push that over 300 without any other mods if you wanted to go that route.

first though if it feels sluggish I would recommend you get the timing checked as that may be off. these cars shouldn't feel sluggish even in stock trim, esp for your first car! A general health check by a respected tuner would be good too just to ensure you've no leaks/issues with the turbo which could also make it feel sluggish, make sure it's running right before throwing any money at it :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i personally wouldn't bother with an uprated fuel pump, clutch, ecu or boost gauge for stage 1.

FMIC, exhaust, boost controller and decat with boost turned up to 0.8bar should see you happy at about 280, a custom map should push that over 300 without any other mods if you wanted to go that route.

first though if it feels sluggish I would recommend you get the timing checked as that may be off. these cars shouldn't feel sluggish even in stock trim, esp for your first car! A general health check by a respected tuner would be good too just to ensure you've no leaks/issues with the turbo which could also make it feel sluggish, make sure it's running right before throwing any money at it :)
Yeah stupid of me to not consider any of that..I'll be taking it to a mechanic tomorrow to inspect it, however I doubt he will look into the turbo. But boost controller, exhaust, and FMIC wouldn't all that require a new ECU as well or would the tune be sufficient? I would definitely like to be over 300hp just because it's a skyline, lol.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
stock ECU runs fine with stage 1 mods, but anything past that that starts to affect air flow/fuel such as injectors, fuel pumps, bigger turbos you'll need a remap for.
Bells do a stage 1 generic ECU which will see you past 300 for around the £260 mark

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
stock ECU runs fine with stage 1 mods, but anything past that that starts to affect air flow/fuel such as injectors, fuel pumps, bigger turbos you'll need a remap for.
Bells do a stage 1 generic ECU which will see you past 300 for around the £260 mark
I'm assuming bells is a tuning garage/service. Could you specify what you mean by 1 generic ECU past 300? You mean an aftermarket ECU that can handle past 300hp for a cost of 260 pounds or they tune the stock ecu past 300 hp for that price? Thanks

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
I'm assuming bells is a tuning garage/service. Could you specify what you mean by 1 generic ECU past 300? You mean an aftermarket ECU that can handle past 300hp for a cost of 260 pounds or they tune the stock ecu past 300 hp for that price? Thanks
Bells Auto Services in Ropley provide a modified version of the standard ECU that has a generic Stage 1 map on it. They are the only ones in the UK that are able to modify the stock ECU, so for £260 you can simply swap the ECU out and have >300bhp.

the alternative would be to purchase an aftermarket ECU such as nistune/Link/apexi and then also pay for a custom map which works out atleast twice as expensive.

Bells can also provide a custom map on the stock ECU for around the 3-400 mark. give them a call to see your options :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bells Auto Services in Ropley provide a modified version of the standard ECU that has a generic Stage 1 map on it. They are the only ones in the UK that are able to modify the stock ECU, so for £260 you can simply swap the ECU out and have >300bhp.

the alternative would be to purchase an aftermarket ECU such as nistune/Link/apexi and then also pay for a custom map which works out atleast twice as expensive.

Bells can also provide a custom map on the stock ECU for around the 3-400 mark. give them a call to see your options :)
Oh ok, that makes sense. We'll see if they reply to me lol.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts