Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1993 r33 gtst and it has a slip light and a-lsd light on the dash, i was told that this was a £5000 extra from factory and there are very few r33 gtst's whith this spec, does anyone know if this is true or have any info about this.:)

·
Administrator
14,725 Posts
The A-lsd was a factory option and a rare one at that, i don't know the exact option price though.

·
Registered
51 Posts
i have this option on my 96 spec II. Ive tried searching up on it but could not find much. iirc the slip light comes on when the diff is engaged and the a-lsd light is supposed to come on startup then go out and should not come on whilst driving as it indicates a fault with the system. id like to know more about it if anyone knows?

·
Registered
257 Posts
same here the light is on all the time.
Is that your car in you avatar? im sure that car was from the north east i seen it for sale on PH, a guy with the exact same car with those wheels tried to part-ex at the garage where i work, and he told me it was a 5k option aswell

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
small world yes mate i bought it from him, unfortunatlly he was full of **** when i bought the car i just spent £1800 in getting it right, but hey its a nice car now all pianted, new clutch, brakes all round, seats with frames coz they were welded solid, coil packs, irrid plugs, which it supposed to have and all the damaged wiring 4 the stereo . it was in Birmingham mate.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Found this on Ebay : http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Skyline-R33-GTR-vspec-Rear-Differential-Diff-A-LSD_W0QQitemZ260383614909QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item260383614909&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72:1683|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318

discription should help ya :

For those who know the vspec Diffs are more advanced then the standard R33 GTR diffs

It has an Active- Limited Slip Diff or A-LSD

This allows the diff to react a lot faster then the passive standard LSD

The torque is not just split front to back, it can also be split side-to-side at the rear (allowing better handling and cornering speeds)

The tell tail sign of a vspec diff you can see by eye is the cooling fins on the casing (see pic)

I think lol ;)

·
Registered
41 Posts
I did some research on it when i had my GTST, it is quite an expensive extra, yet i spent £££ on new tyres trying to get the A LSD light on whist driving.. then found out its only on when theres a fault. It also came on for me once in the snow, im guessing it over heated or something lol
Oz

·
Registered
271 Posts
It was on a gtst I owned and I found it totally dangerous. When sliding or spinning it changed power from wheel to wheel leaving the car with a mind of its own and hard to predict almost like an non lsd.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Courtesy of Wikipedia fellas:

As an option, an active limited slip differential was available instead of the standard viscous LSD. This new unit locked the rear differential if it detected that traction was lost by one of the wheels. A light on the dash also lit up if the LSD engaged. Active LSD came standard on all V-spec R33 GT-R Skylines and was also available on a certain amount of ECR33 GTS25t models, these can be identified by the A-LSD and SLIP lights on the tachometer.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts