Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys.
I know it's not a GTR but i thought i'd do a little intro to my 4 door R33 Skyline project.
I acquired the car after swapping my old K24 swapped Civic type R for it, it's just a 4 door GTS with an RB20E engine so it is totally gutless but the plans are to eventually sort that out once i've tidied it up a little.
I have already got hold of some R34 GTT front hubs and brakes to swap it from 4x114.4 to 5x114.3 and run the bigger R34 brakes ready for a bigger engine.
It's a little rough around the edges and needs a bit of tidying up but should make a good project despite it probably being the least desirable Skyline ever created haha.

I think the initial plans are to clean up the bodywork and get the chassis ready to take a det engine, it's going to be a long term project but can't wait to get stuck into it.
It already has a few modifications, budget coilovers (will change them eventually), a few driftworks arms, 4.3 rear diff, manual swapped with rb25det gearbox, custom exhaust, japan racing wheels and the sound system has been pretty well sorted.
I've started documenting it on my Youtube channel as well for anyone interested.

·
Terry
1,959 Posts
Nothing wrong with a 4 door imo and what you have is a great base for your planned upgrades. As long as body work is holding up ie strut tops and rear arches then what’s not to like

Good luck with the build and keep updating

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nothing wrong with a 4 door imo and what you have is a great base for your planned upgrades. As long as body work is holding up ie strut tops and rear arches then what’s not to like

Good luck with the build and keep updating

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I know, i love it otherwise i wouldn't have got it but it is generally the model that's looked down upon.
Rear arches have already been replaced on both side, a bit of rust coming through on the strut tops but i'll more than likely replace them when the engine comes out just so i have better access 🙂

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So my first mode was a bit of a special one, the car came with a cheap worn out kode steering wheel that felt like it would bend without much effort. Before i had the R33 i also had a manual Toyota Crown that was imported with a genuine Impul 913 expert steering wheel which i kept hold of. It was missing the horn button but luckily i managed to source a brand new one from Japan.
So first job was to fit that, i also fitted a 50mm spacer with it as i'm quite tall and it gave me quite a lot more leg space.
While i was at it i also fitted a full set of genuine floor mats and a convex rear view mirror which can be seen in the video link below.
Super happy with how the wheel has turned out though, what do you think?

]

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So i've done a few minor jobs on the car while we've been stuck in lockdown, started off with removing and plugging up the rear wiper and then refurbishing the front wiper arms.

Loads of new parts have arrived so i unboxed some of them so i can start doing some modifications and upgrade a few bits and pieces ready for it to take a bigger engine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So yesterday i did a few little jobs on the R33. I was hoping to do a full service and gearbox oil change but unfortunately the parts didn't arrive in time so i fitted a few of the parts i'd been gathering instead.
Starting with a front lower chassis brace that i picked up super cheap on ebay, don't normally buy cheap ebay stuff but i thought i'd take the chance at £13 and it turned out pretty good. Was actually quite surprised at how well it fit.

Also fitted a few dress up washers and HKS radiator cap that i found lying around in my garage from a previous car.

Although i eventually plan to swap the engine for an RB25det i don't think it will be for a while as i really want to focus on getting the chassis and bodywork sorted first so i decided to measure up the intake so i could make my own to bypass the huge intake plenum that sits on top of the exhaust manifold in hope that it free's up a few HP. I'm probably being way too optimistic but it'll look a little nicer if nothing else.
Here's my masterpiece of a drawing 😂

Anyway, i'm hoping to get a few more jobs done on the car this week while the weather is good and lets face it. I have nothing better to do.
Here's a video of the progress.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am eventually going to be replacing the old trusty RB20e engine but for now i've decided to keep it for a bit while i sort a few other things on the car first.
So i gave it a full service in hope it holds out until that time haha!!
I managed to get hold of all the parts easily enough from Conceptua and they arrived really fast. Would definitely recommend them.
The car has an Apexi air filter on it that isn't that old so i didn't bother changing that but i did the Oil filter, fuel filter and spark plugs.
Oil change went pretty smoothly and the fuel filter wasn't too bad but the pipes were a bit tight to get off as i don't think it had been changed in a while.
The spark plugs on the other hand were an absolute pig, Cylinders 1,2,5 and 6 were a bit tight but came out but cylinders 3 and 4 were super tight. Somebody had left the washers in there from the plugs before so they had 2 washers on the plug and because they had been crushed so much they had wedged themselves in really tight.
They came out eventually after winding them in and out for about an hour but wasn't sure if they were going to come out without snapping for a bit 😅

Here's a little video of the whole process:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts