Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new car is poorly. It only hapens about 1 in ten times or less but when I stop or have the car in neutral for a few seconds it stalls, happend once when turning right of a main road, quite exciting for a second, no power, no steering, many cars.

The idle speed is about 600 rpm, is this right, and how can I stop it cutting out. It's my first Skyline, an R33 GTSt and I've only had it two days so have little idea where any of the bits are, so an idiots guide to sorting it would be nice.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It has a HKS induction kit, forget the name, the one with the big green pod, a very noisey Blitz BOV, a needle valve type blow of valve, a cat back SS exhaust, an iridium plugs.

·
Banned
8,850 Posts
The BOV upsets the ECU as it dumps measured air to atmosphere instead of recirculating it like the car was designed to do, hence they do stall, some worse than others.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Any way to stop it? Like making sure I give it 1500 revs just before i let it idle to get the air right.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
These are the sort of problems I was having with mine recently, does yours also occaisionally idle above the norm aswell ? Do you have bad fuel economy ?

Moff

S

·
0 Posts
The best thing that you can do is to clean the throttle body first of all.

there is a high likelyhood that it is covered in grot and this does cause stalling at low rpm.

best of all is that it costs feck all!

if it still happens tnen think about idles stabilsers and such like.

one way to prevent build up of grot is to fit an oil catch tank.

Simon

·
"A Skyline with 4 doors?"
380 Posts
If you've got a Blitz BOV, there is a spring pressure adjustment bolt and jam nut on it that you can use. Just loosen the jam nut and tighten the bolt down a little bit. Then test drive it and see. If it's something new that's occurring, and it doesn't sound extremely bad, so your spring may just be a little less then it was. That fixed my problems.

Also, if you can access the outlet valve area at all use a little brake and carb cleaner to clean as much of the valve area as you can. Sometimes the same intake gunk that coats your throttle inlet can cause your BOV to have trouble seating closed.

·
Free icecream
2,112 Posts
I started getting this again on mine a few weeks ago. Take off the idle control valve (rear of plenum, 3 bolts) and give it a good blast of carb cleaner. Sorted mine out (again)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts