Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. I just purchased a new r33 gts yesterday. The car is supposed to be running 500-600bhp. It has a Greddy T78 turbo with all the injectors etc to back the turbo up for big bhp. Its running on HKS f-con pro v management.
I am not happy with the perhormance of the car as i have a 405bhp cossy and it would eat it. The skyline is only running 0.6 bar boost. It is fitted with a greddy boost controller and i have tried changing the settings on the controller from hi to low and the selectors at the back of the controller but the car still runs the same boost no matter which setting. The engine runs very sweet but when you lift your foot of the pedal it starts smokin. This only happens when you lift your foot of the pedal, compared to when your hard acceleration there is no smoke at all, not one bit. I am a bit confused but i wanted to ask you guys what you thought. What are your views on the boost controller and also is the turbo gone? You help would be greatly helpful.
Thanks colin

·
Track addict
4,907 Posts
What colour is the smoke?
Is the boost controller plumbed in, as it could be that 0.6bar is just actuator pressure, if it's not plumbed into the turbo then no amount of adjustment is going to change it.

·
Registered
310 Posts
No wonder it does'nt feel quick if its only running 0.6 bar!! Probably only making a couple of hundred hp at that level.

As for the smoke...what kind of breather set-up is it running?

If it were my car i'd book it in at somewhere like Abbey to give it a once over and make sure everythings as it should be.

·
Administrator
14,725 Posts
As ChrisC says.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What colour is the smoke?
Is the boost controller plumbed in, as it could be that 0.6bar is just actuator pressure, if it's not plumbed into the turbo then no amount of adjustment is going to change it.
Hi chris. The smoke is white/blue. And yes its plumbed in correctly to the turbo. Wat you think?

·
Track addict
4,907 Posts
Well the blue/white smoke is oil burning, and if the controller is def plugged in and set up correct and working, then somethings amiss. Like has been said get it checked over by a reputable tuner, just for piece of mind mate.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Well the blue/white smoke is oil burning, and if the controller is def plugged in and set up correct and working, then somethings amiss. Like has been said get it checked over by a reputable tuner, just for piece of mind mate.
OK thanks chris. Here is the exact spec. I paid £7500 for this car. Do you think its dear or cheap?

1996 gts-t. 51,131km, Carbon GT wing HKS drag damper (rear coilovers), Aftermarket titanium Exhaust - No Cat Type, aftermarket front suspension, Greddy oil temp and boost meter, Autometer tacho, Kenwood CD, Greddy profec b, Greddy turbo timer, Razo knob, Aftermarket LSD, Oil cooler, Trust intercooler Greddy Oil catch can, Greddy T78-33D kit, turbo, manifold, downpipe, wastegate, Intake Funnel. Line lock kit, HKS fcon v pro, hks cams, Aftermarket Injectors (Red), Greddy Intake, Modified Throttle, white 18x9.5"rota Alloys. o/s giken internals cross (mission), (1,2,3) o/s triple (clutch), one owner

·
Track addict
4,907 Posts
Sounds like it was priced to sell, quite a good spec you have there.
The profec boost cntrl is a very good piece of kit, i have one on mine.
Although there has been a couple of people on here that have had problems with them. Like i said i would get it looked over for piece of mind.

·
bla
17,374 Posts
I always thought blue smoke was either a dying turbo or piston rings.....

My gto was spitting out blue and it was the tubs, maybe rings too :dunno:

·
bla
17,374 Posts
Blue Smoke: Blue smoke is caused by engine oil entering the cylinder area and being burned along with the fuel air mixture. As with the white smoke, just a small drop of oil leaking into the cylinder can produce blue smoke out the tailpipe. Blue smoke is more likely in older or higher mileage vehicles than newer cars with fewer miles.

How did the engine oil get inside the cylinder in the first place? The car has many seals, gaskets, and O-rings that are designed to keep the engine oil from entering the cylinder, and one of them has failed. If too much oil leaks into the cylinder and fouls the spark plug, it will cause a misfire (engine miss) in that cylinder, and the spark plug will have to be replaced or cleaned of the oil. Using thicker weight engine oil or an oil additive designed to reduce oil leaks might help reduce the amount of oil leaking into the cylinder.

Id check the tubs aswell as im sure i read somewhere blue smoke was a dying tub...

·
Seasoned member
4,785 Posts
white smoke could also be the head gasket on it way out, which could be why the boost is set so low

what ever it is i think you may need to get the wallet out:uhoh:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi guys thanks for all your comments. I took the car out this evenin and i gave it nothin but hard revving for 20 mins or so. I burned half a tank of fuel and i had not a wisp of smok until i drove easy and when i let my foot of the pedal it started smokin again. I'm just puzzeled to why it only does this when i lift my foot of or ticking over. I used to have an old cavalier that done this, but the valve stem oil seals were gone and when i replaced them it was perfect. Does anyone know if these cars have similar seals or what?

·
Premium Member
4,436 Posts
If you are running a T78, you will have an ECU to run that, injectors etc. look at the map, find out who mapped it, might be worth a call to them.

Moff

·
AKA The Torque Monster
1,096 Posts
I have a R33 GTR that was blowing out blue white smoke and about 50 miles later th rear turbo bearing fell apart and took out the 3 rear cyclenders so stop driving and get it checked out for piece of mind. will cost a lot more if it lets go.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi, guys. I'd just like to say that i got the problem sorted. After leaving the car with 2 different turners over here in N.Ireland at nearly £50 an hour, they both said that my turbo was knackered. After being annoyed for a while i took the car home to my own shed as i still was'nt happy with their conclusion, So i proceeded to take the turbo of. When i took it of i then split the turbo down and checked all seals and bearings and all seemd ok. I then took of the front bumper to get at the intercooler as inside the cooler pipes were all oil. So i started to strip of the cooler pipes and nearly dropped dead. The right hand cooler samco rubber joint was completly SPLIT IN TWO. Not a crack BUT SPLIT IN TWO. I immediatley knew that this had a big effect on what was wrong with my car. I then built the turbo back up cleaned the cooler and pipes, went and got a new pipe and screwed all together. Well all i have to say is OH MY [email protected]@KING GOD. No smoke and a **** load of power. I have owne a couple of 400 bhp cossys but this is unreal. We rollin roaded the car yesterday and it produced a healthy 617 bhp @ 1.4 bar boost. When i bought this car i knew it had been built to a big spec. But i couldn get it to run any more than 0.9 bar. I knew even that day something was wrong cause i could get the boost controller to work properly and the actuator didnt seem to be workin. All in all it just shows you that some of the smartest people dont check the basic things. Both guys told me they checked and pressure tested all the pipes and that the turbo was gone. Anyway my fingers are sore typing lol. Thanks for all your help guys.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts