Skyline Owners Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
I am on that conversion as well ... Just R33 ... auto to manual ... i have done clutch pedal with clutch master cylinder installed, but to do that work, i had to remove front dash board.... now everything back, looks fine, tomorrow gonna do gearboxes ....

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
yes, Paul sent me over all the pictures of the gearbox and oil cooler removal. I'll be updating the thread this week with more information.

Did you replace the brake pedal or just use the auto one. Its best (on the R34 anyway) to replace the brake with the manual one as it sits about 1 inch higher than the manual one so it can be a bit strange when you've put in the manual gearbox.

Hardest problem you have now is removing the spigott bearing. Takes about 30 minutes to grind/hammer out.

Let us know how you get one. Well worth it to be hoest. The car is totally different to drive as a manual.

·
Registered
626 Posts
About brake pedal .... ehmm ... i make some modification on it .... with metal saw, now it look like standard brake pedal .... i stick proper rubber cower on it (from normal brake pedal), and it looks fine .... maybe it a bit higher, but you cant notice when drive..... today i gonna change that gearbox, and i will stick pictures here .... so far i have just clutch pedal install work pictures, but i'll stick them on a raw , when job will be done....

yes, i know about spigot bearing, i got some tools, to remove it, and got new one for manual gearbox, should be fine ..... I little bit worry about wiring, it will take a time to find out proper way...

·
Registered
626 Posts
So ... removed bloody auto gearbox, work i did alone ... my friend couldn't came today, promised come and give a hand tomorrow, ... soo nearly finished with auto gearbox,... left just bloody bloody bloody spigot bearing.... didn't realize that could be so bad with that thing.... anyway... spend nearly 4 hours to take off gearbox top bolt ..... tomorrows target - take off that spigot bearing, and install manual gearbox :)

·
happy skyline owner
75 Posts
do you have to change the ecu when you make a conversion from auto to manual?

great job anyway

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Nope you can use the R33 one. Yes I used a R33 clutch. They are a little bit cheaper.

Its quite easy to do the conversion.

One final part is I had to get an engineers report for my insurance company. No problems just wanted to check that its done right. You will ahve to factor that into the cost of the conversion.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
The engineers report cost me €170. I have a few friends in the insurance game and they arranged it. Its a standard price. Most garages or even your insurance company can put you in touch with one.

Only took about 20 minutes. he took loads of pictures put the car on a ramp, and did an inspection and test drive. i got minbe done about 3 months after the conversion was completed.

It might have just been my insurance compay. But it will stand to me if I ever think about selling my car.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
I'm interested in doing this conversion at some point as well.

Just wondering where do you find all the parts?

·
hwoarang
1,192 Posts
I'm nearly sure he got most of them off skylinepart Rich.
Yup. I have already got all the ancillary parts needed (only gear box remaining) and they were all from Skylinepart. However the conversion is on hold at the moment as after several track days the Tiptronic box is still hanging in there and impressing me in the process (and you cannot beat having it around town in full auto).

Think long and hard Rich...

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
yeah I do like the tiptronic box, I'm just keeping my options open really for the future if I want to go for more power.

What BHP are you running hwoarang?

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Yeap got most of the parts from tony in SkylineParts. I managed to source the 33 gearbox local to me as I'm in Ireland.

If you ever drive an manual skyline you'll know the difference. The touque convertor robs so much power. Personally I love autos and loved the tiptronic gearbox but I wanted more power and know nothing about auto boxes and torque convertors except that they are very expensive when they go wrong.

I'm not auto bashing here, but honestly its the best thing I've done to the car. totally transformed the car and power delivery.

In saying that, I do miss the auto when I'm tired and when I've got a hill start to look forward to.

·
hwoarang
1,192 Posts
All valid points Johnser. I did drive a R34 manual as a comparison but it was a 100bhp down on mine so even though it was manual it was no contest.

Rich I'm running 400bhp.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,

I swapped engine with gearbox and comokete manual wiring except dash board.

Speedometer doesnt wotk. everything is okay. any ideas?

21 - 40 of 42 Posts