Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been updating this on another thread but it's titled "D'oh!" and I didn't think it was getting much attention :) Here's the new updated thread.

To cut a long story short, our R34GTT has had an intermittent fault now for some time. Basically, the car sounds and feels like it's stuttering sometimes, like it's holding back on itself under acceleration. Power is definately down too. This has now become more frequent to the extent where by the car is pretty much undriveable now. :(

The TCS, AT and MIL lights are all illuminated on the dash when the problem occurs.

So what have I tried so far (with no success)?

• Cleaned MAF with electrical contact cleaner
  • Checked condition of coilpacks and cleaned with contact cleaner (all were shiny clean and sound anyway)
  • Replaced spark plugs with NGK irridium. Old plugs showed no signs of irregularity.
  • Ran a self-diagnostic on the ECU. Produced error code 21 = Ignition Signal Circuit... but I'm not sure what conclusions to draw from this?
  • Swapped the MAF this weekend with one that I know works (came off my car!). Seemed to work at first but after just a few miles driving, the problem returned. Abbey suggested I should check this out.
  • ECU reset - Once again, seemed great at first, took it on a spirited drive and all was well. Next day, about 1 mile after having fuelled up on some Super, the problem came back and has not gone away since.

So I'm really at a loss. Can anyone suggest anything else I can try before throwing in the towel and forking out loads of cash which I don't actually have to let a mechanic diagnose and fix the fault?

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He he -- maybe so, but it's the 'what-if' factor that concerns me, i.e what if that doesn't work. If I get some nice new Splitfires, I'm £300 down at least and with no real assurance that this will solve the problem. I don't mind spending the money if that's what is needed but I can't spend over £300 only to find I've got to shell out for for more work.

·
hwoarang
1,192 Posts
Predicament well understood mate. However you may not necessarily have to fork out a load of cash just for a proper diagnosis of the problem.

It may cost you 1 maybe 2 hours labour to identify the problem (which is still cheaper than a set of splitfires :D ). Once you have been told exactly what the problem is it will help focus where you really need to spend the cash and how much of it.
You can then save, borrow, beg etc cash to sort it out but you have the peace of mind knowing it will be fixed.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, a quick trip to Thor Racing and a diagnosis later... leaves two possibilities apparently...

• The crank angle sensor (think that's what its called? Timing angle sensor?)
  • Or the Coilpacks - as per previous comments

Less likely to be the coilpacks apparently, especially given similar faults they've seen before, but can't rule it out.

Now I need to find a friggin sensor to try out and see if that solves the problem. Any ideas anybody? Where can I get one second hand or better still, who's got an R34 GTT that they don't mind me doing a quick swappsy with? :)

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
UPDATE:
It's alive I tells ya!!! :D After well over a year of putting up with and pissing about with the GTT fault... today I fitted a new Crank Angle Sensor (supplied by Abbey @ £320 new). Car is running perfectly once again! So i'm well and truly in the missus's good books now. Thanks to everyone for their help on various threads. I've added this post as a conclusion to the saga, in case anyone in future searches for info on this type of problem. :)

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Scrub that - Problem came back about an hour after I posted my thread of triumph above!

New Splitfire's fitted. Problem is now apparently solved, but until I've done a good few miles in it without the problem returning, I'll reserve judgement. Certainly for now, I'm hopeful!

What a saga; and afterall that, I'm just another coilpack statistic! :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts