Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've just got back from quite a long round trip (340 miles) and the car never missed a beat except for the knock levels on my Apexi FC Hand Controller going higher than they have before.
I was in 5th gear at about 3200rpm and then put my foot down a bit to overtake so I was just coming on to boost and at around 3800rpm I saw my engine light blinking so I let off the throttle and looked at the Hand Controller. The knock level which has never gone above 60 before (even with spirited driving) went up to 88.
I reset the Hand Controller and carried on, keeping the revs around 3k.

On the journey home I decided to give it a little bit of beans through the gears (not flooring it) so the revs went past 4k and the boost went up to around 1bar (1.5 max) so that was a lot more than I had done before in 5th gear and it was fine. Knock went up to 25 which is perfectly normal for mine.

So I tried the same thing again in 5th gear and it did it again with the knock going up to 92 this time! The boost was around 0.5 so by no means booting it.

I'm a bit worried about this since it's never done it before and I don't want a knackered car!

Brief mod list is as follows:
Forged engine
Greddy TD06 Top Mount
750cc injectors
Z32 MAF
FMIC
Splitfire coilpacks
Blitz BOV
HKS fuel pump
Mapped to 501bhp by RSP

Anyone got a clue what's wrong!?

Edit: The only thing I've changed since owning the car is removing the charcoal canister and blanking all the hoses...That surely couldn't cause issues like this?

·
Super Moderator
9,033 Posts
Planting the throttle from lower RPM in 5th will result in a much higher load, even with a smaller amount of boost, i suspect it needs the timing pulling back around that part of the map, sounds like its not been monitored in that area, could be it needs a bit more fuel but i would be looking at the ign timing.

·
Premium Member
2,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn't plant the throttle...I only accelerated enough to make sure it came on boost to see if that was the issue.
If you think that's the only problem then that shouldn't be too much of an issue...I just won't put the car in that position until I can get the map checked.

I'm sure it hasn't done it before though which was my main cause of concern.

·
Super Moderator
9,033 Posts
I didn't plant the throttle...I only accelerated enough to make sure it came on boost to see if that was the issue.
If you think that's the only problem then that shouldn't be too much of an issue...I just won't put the car in that position until I can get the map checked.

I'm sure it hasn't done it before though which was my main cause of concern.
Figure of speech, OK accelerating gently, when in high gear will always result in much higher loadings, and with the onset of boost its a prime area for a bit of knock to occur, get the map checked in that area, as it may just require a slight tweak to fuel and timing.

·
Premium Member
2,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Brilliant. Cheers Ricky!
I've been meaning to get it to RSP or similar since I bought the car. Guess I need to pull my finger out and actually get it done now.

:cheers:

·
Premium Member
2,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've always used the same garage since owning a Skyline (5 years) and never had a problem so I don't think it's that. Unless it was a dodgy batch of fuel. I've filled the tank from another Shell garage now so we shall see.

·
Seasoned member
2,485 Posts
If you are worried about knock and have the hand commander, go into the ignition settings and you can pull a few degrees of timing across the entire map very very easily, it resets to the map everytime the car is started again, but its a handy feature if you see something out of the ordinary or want to run out a tank of suspect petrol. take 3 or 4 degrees off, just make sure you retard it and not advance it...

·
Premium Member
2,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You make it sound so easy but I don't think I'd trust myself to do that. I've just taken the car for a drive with a few fun accelerations in 2nd and 3rd and there was no knocking (15 on the hand commander) so it seems it is just in 5th gear when it comes on boost.
I can live with that until I get the map checked properly :)

·
Seasoned member
2,485 Posts
Its really very handy, have a look. Its been a year since last had a car with PFC, but its handy and should learn to use the feature. Another handy one is drop the rev limit down to 3000 or so if leaving the car in for service or valet or something, or drop it to 0 if you just want the car to not start, nice we security measure

1 - 12 of 12 Posts