Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 315 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had the car about 10 months now and haven't posted any updates since my initial splurge on the newbies section so here goes with some updates - more than anything it is a good journal of work carried out on the car and somewhere to store my pics!

My plan was to fit coilovers late last year but ran out of cash - anyhow what about the Fast and Furious 'Slammed' look instead?

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
No, only kidding - f**king state of the roads in the UK early this year busted one of my rear springs. Adamant that i'm not wasting money on springs when i want to do this properly so car was off the road for a while. Pootling around in my old 206 for a little while until this big box turned up courtesy of Amber Performance:

Awesome :)

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Booked into Hull Jap to have the coilovers fitted, that 5 mile journey took me about 30 minutes crawling along, wincing through gritted teeth as i went over each bump and pothole, cursing the roads, the politicians everyone along the way. No i can't go any f**king faster, the car is currently handling like a coracle.
A BANG from behind my left ear 3/4 of the way through journey was the sound of the second spring breaking but after getting over the shock of that i realised that the handling was pretty ok with both the rear springs out.
Rear coilies fitted and the car was drivable again. Sleight hitch with the front as the previous owner had fitted some bizzarre 'RS' bright orange coilies - really slim skinny things but had discarded the rubber seat spring from the stock suspension that the Tein kit needs.
These things here:

Fast forward a couple of weeks and Paul at JDM Garage (japinportsuk.com) had found me a set of these and all 4 coilovers are fitted.

Fast forward another month and height adjustment is settled - a little higher than previous, no rub over speed humps or grinding noises on full lock.

Settled on winding back 8 from max on the front and 10 back on the rear for quite a soft ride before putting the rear seats back in so the kids had somewhere to sit. Wish i'd thought about some extensions so the seats out rigmarole wasn't such a pain to adjust these things. Tein even do a motorised control box for these now so you can adjust from the drivers seat if you've got money to burn.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Few updates to the interior of the cabin, replaced the armrest cover, the gear shift and handbrake gaiters with leather ones. Real leather with grey stitching to try and keep with the interior theme.
Adds a bit of class to the somewhat plastic looking cabin, and a very pleasant smell too :)

I've got the matching steering wheel leather cover to fit too, but that needs hand stitching and looks quite hard...when i've got a couple of hours spare i'll give it a go

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Also swapped out the EONON DVD player for an Alpine stereo. I'm not one for DVD screens in cars, so the double din unit and lcd headrest screens got ripped out (sorry kids) for an old school type single DIN very nice Alpine unit with a proper twisty volume knob :)

Whilst I had the center console out, in went a pucker Nismo boost gauge (Thanks Matty and Miguel at NewEra for coming up trumps with that one).

Looks spot on! Also swapped out the bulbs in the aircon with some LEDS for an amber and red theme throughout.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Finally sourced a Nismo 300k speedo to match the boost gauge. Really really pleased with this, looks far better than the stock in my opinion. Bit of a krypton factor puzzle getting the old one out, after lowering the wheel, removing the screws and unclipping the awkward connectors on the back you've got to slide it out then corkscrew it down the left hand side of wheel to get it out. One of those impossible until you know how things :|

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just kicking myself as i forgot to swap out the odometer bulb for an amber LED to match the climate control

D'oh!

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Next task...

Fair few screws to get out, and the casing and brackets need a clean up before continuing

·
Registered
535 Posts
looking good mate. dont supose your selling your old clocks are you? just done manual converaion on mine.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Halfway done but good chance to show how it compares with stock

Nismo GT500 'Z-tune' LED kit.

Photo doesn't do this justice, lights are diamond like, filling out the star pattern and still keep the cool afterburner glow which is something i really love from the stock set-up.

Unfortunately rain stopped play so will take another pic when i can grab someone to stamp on the brakes for me at night time so can capture the finished install in true glory.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Comin along nicely there mate likin the led rear lights! I don't even wana know how much you paid for the nismo cluster and clocks but they really are rare as rockin horse sh*t!!

What's next on the agenda?
Thanks buddy, appreciate the kind words. They are getting rare now as out of production but there are stock piles of them brand new in the land of the rising sun if you dare risk expensive overseas transactions in a language you can't understand but it's all part of the thrill.

Next job is get some tyres for the dream wheels i had shipped from Rinkya earlier in the year. I couldn't afford to tyre them up and fit them so they were in my bedroom for a month, then went up into the loft!

Long term I really really want a genuine R34 GTR spoiler, not a copy or after market one but they don't come up very often. I love the twin blade look, the GTT stock one is a bit of a brute.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just had a look at your thread - i really like what you did with the LEDs in your clusters but it reminds me of what a [email protected]£king nobhead i am not swapping that bulb out and i really don't want to go through the hassle of getting that speedo out again - cuts haven't healed from last time yet :(

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Thanks buddy, appreciate the kind words. They are getting rare now as out of production but there are stock piles of them brand new in the land of the rising sun if you dare risk expensive overseas transactions in a language you can't understand but it's all part of the thrill.

Next job is get some tyres for the dream wheels i had shipped from Rinkya earlier in the year. I couldn't afford to tyre them up and fit them so they were in my bedroom for a month, then went up into the loft!

Long term I really really want a genuine R34 GTR spoiler, not a copy or after market one but they don't come up very often. I love the twin blade look, the GTT stock one is a bit of a brute.
Lol there's a guy I've dealt with before in Japan he can get pretty much anything if its for sale there and get it to you but yeh massive risk doin it all yourself!!

Oo yeh rubber usually helps stop scraping and sparks on the wheels bahaha!!! Just make sure you don't get budgets get falkens or Yokohama or summin!!

I managed to get a genuine gtr spoiler but that was a good few months ago and I haven't seen another since. I seen ones on eBay but at £450 for a damaged one they can keep it!!!

Here's my clocks I opted for blue LEDs!

1 - 20 of 315 Posts