Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Haboodadi
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys how's it going? hope everyone's doing great!

I've been away from my R34 for about 5 months, just installed a new battery and full tank of fuel.

Cranking, fuel pump and starter sound great, but still won't start after 15 or so tries

Any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
8,994 Posts
Hi fella how you going? can you hear the fuel pump on ignition switch on? and have you checked the fuel pressure?

·
Haboodadi
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
@Tricky-Ricky

All going good my friend, how's everything with you?

Yeah i can hear the pump sounding fine on ignition, it's a new pump, installed about 4 years ago (when i made the mistake of attempting to start the car with an empty tank due to stuck fuel gauge reading.)

Fuel pressure reading is 38/39 psi while off, while cranking it moves up to 40, then goes back to 38/39 when cranking stops.

·
Super Moderator
8,994 Posts
I am fine thanks ....i presume you have checked for a good strong spark? if no spark i would then look at power to coils and then check crank sensor and CAS are working.

·
Haboodadi
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@Tricky-Ricky

I haven't checked to be honest, i just installed brand new spark plugs and new coil packs because i remembered last time when i started the car, 2 coil packs were failing at the time, it is very common with this car and it is something that i have to do every once in a while, due to the hot weather, it's very bad here it even melted my new MFD screen, and the car is under a shade!!

Anyways, after the replacements, it still won't start.

I guess i have to check the crank sensor and the CAS (assuming it's the Crank Angle Sensor?), which i have no idea how to lol, this never happened to me.

Would appreciate it if you guide me on this.

Thanks for your reply mate.

·
Registered
68 Posts
The Cam Angle Sensor is on the front of the block as you look at it, and is often unplugged to allow you to turn the engine over to build oil pressure without it firing. It looks like this:

Might be an obvious question but do you have an aftermarket alarm/immobiliser that could be interfering? Have you tried your spare key?

·
Super Moderator
8,994 Posts
Another tip is to mark the position of the CAS before you remove and you can check for spark by removing coil packs/rail install plugs in the boots and make sure they are earthed and then turn on ignition and turn the CAS the plugs shroud spark if all is OK .

If you not sure if fuel is getting through the plugs should be wet with fuel after a start attempt when removed if there is no spark.

But as Sagara says check that you alarm is not stopping start first.

·
Haboodadi
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@Sargara

Aha, thanks for the info!

Honestly I'm not sure about the alarm, previous owner only gave me 1 key that has the chip in it.
How can i find out if it stock or not?

@Tricky-Ricky

Thanks for the tip!

About testing the spark, i remember i found this video below posted here a long time ago when my stock coil packs went poof for the first time, i never did the test, i just tried to do the silicon part and it didn't work lol.

The person in the video did the test as you've described, but he used an aluminum sheet and removed the "plug to the injector resistors".

Are these necessary? can it be tested on the car's body frame?

·
Super Moderator
8,994 Posts
Just make sure the plugs are in good contact with the coil pack boots and make sure the plugs are earthing to the engine somewhere if you dont see a spark on one check the above before thinking the coil or something else is responsible.

No real need for the sheet but up to you as he is also testing for coil packs leaks by making a high resistance through the plugs so the coils will try and earth first.

·
Haboodadi
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Alright thanks for that, will attempt this today

I have a question about something else that i'm suspecting, if the ECU for some reason have loose wires or just bad connection, will this lead to the car for not starting at all or it could start but have idle issues?

I remember i've had similar issues a while back, the car would start, but won't stay on idle unless i press gas and it was running really rich, all i did was i removed the ECU and cleaned the connectors with a carb cleaner, and then worked like a charm.

·
Super Moderator
8,994 Posts
Yes bad connections to ECU will cause all kinds of problems.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts