Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, i own a 1998 R34 Nissan Skyline 25GT-X FOUR (Series 1)

I'm wanting to upgrade to bigger brakes sometime soon and I'm wondering if the brake calipers, rotors etc, off a GT-T or a GT-R would fit.
I'm also wanting to turbo my car at a later date and I'm wondering how hard it'd be to do that.

Kind Regards

·
Registered
235 Posts
Brakes are quite interchangeable across the skylines but you have to watch out for the fact that some have 12mm bolts and some have 14mm bolts on the front. There are ways around that which are documented and findable with a quick search. Rears are easy straight swaps. You also have to be wary of the rotor dust shields which will be too small if you put bigger (e.g. GTT) rotors on and you will have to modify (grind/hacksaw) or change them (a bigger but tidier job). I've got R32 GTR brakes and rotors on my R34 GT and I just sleeved the 12mm bolts for the GTR callipers through the 14mm holes in the R34 GT carriers.

For adding a turbo it's all do-able with basic car maintenance skills and I did mine myself - but you will have to do your homework. Again it's all documented and easily findable with a search but one key thing to consider is that you get a suitable ECU from a GTT but there will be some issues you have to overcome - again all do-able but if you do the research you should be ok. I used a manual GTT ECU on my auto R34 turbo conversion because the GT models have a separate transmission control unit and the GTT has it built into the main engine ECU. So putting an auto GTT ECU in a turbo converted GT has caused headaches for some people cos there will be two competing TCU systems. I run low boost and a big FMIC cos of the higher compression GT pistons. I don't have it but ideally a Nistune or similar engine management would be better but as the costs rise you need to think about whether you're sentimentally attached to this particular car or whether you'd rather trade up to a GTT.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the awesome info, i am somewhat sentimentally attached to my car as it's the first car i bought and owned, i guess that'll be put to the test tho once i find out how much it's all gonna cost to turbo it properly. again thanks for the awesome info

1 - 4 of 4 Posts