Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im thinking of getting an 99 r34 NISSAN Skyline GT-T Tiptronic, are they decent?? because i did want to get a manual but ive found this one and it looks very nice but ive heard there nit all that performance wise, and dose anyone know were i can find some siiiiick bokykits for an r34 ive looked in the advertisements on the forum but hardly anyone does them. cheerz

·
Whitey
1,154 Posts
I had exactly that a GTT with tiptronic gears and loved it. Changed few things with exhaust and was really a great car. I opted for the Bomex bodykit and it worked really well on the car

·
bla
17,374 Posts
Id leave the tiptronic and go manual myself.... Theres more potential in it.... But thats up to you :)

·
Skyline Smiler :D
185 Posts
theres nothing more fun a feeling than changing gear manually, auto if u ask me takes away 70% of the fun in driving!
choosing what gear, what revs where and when u want it? and doing it manualy with the stick! carnt bet it! but thats just me! each tot here own a?

·
Always sideways
4,250 Posts
The tiptronic gearbox is limited to the amount of power it can handle, around 400bhp if I remember correctly. If you're not going to be heading north of this figure, Tiptronic is a good system - you show me a manual shifter than can change gear in tenths of a second on max. power :)

·
Skyline Smiler :D
185 Posts
The tiptronic gearbox is limited to the amount of power it can handle, around 400bhp if I remember correctly. If you're not going to be heading north of this figure, Tiptronic is a good system - you show me a manual shifter than can change gear in tenths of a second on max. power :)
3rd to 4th! best gear change in the world! i rekon i could get close to an auto box on that 1.

·
bla
17,374 Posts
To be honest, I think tiptronic is aload of crap..... I have driven my mas afew times and i always end up using the manual up and down shifts... Much more exciting.. :) If your gonna get a car you really want, dont be lazy and get the manual :D Plus you can get more problems with an auto than a manual :)

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
The Apexi PFC is not compatible with the trip version... think thats correct.
Your right about this Stusy. But they can still have other piggy back ecus with no problems, so I am told :)

I know everyone defends there autos/tips. But mine is getting to me. I simply miss a manual!

The tip +/- gear change is slow. You flick it up a gear and you wait about a second for it to change. In a skyline that is not quick enough. Although I agree with not being able to beat a computer at changing gear soooo....

...to beat the nuts off of everyone simply leave it in full auto mode and nail it at the lights :dogpile:

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
I'm just used to it now, just flick the tiptronic up or down a second or 2 before you want to change gear. once you get used to it I find it pretty good. I mean I can take it and time it right to the red line with a good gear change using tiptronic by pressing up at the right time. Thats all it is really, just getting used to then once you know the timing I dont see why manual would give you any real advantages, although I admit its probably a bit more enjoyable to drive and I'm considering a conversion next year if its not too expensive, but not overly worried.

Basically if you think of it as when you flick the tiptronic stick up as being the same time as if you started a gear change in a manual, ie dippin the clutch, by the time either method has changed gear theres not a lot in it. As a gear change in tiptronic takes about 2 seconds in total.

·
hwoarang
1,192 Posts
I'm just used to it now, just flick the tiptronic up or down a second or 2 before you want to change gear. once you get used to it I find it pretty good. I mean I can take it and time it right to the red line with a good gear change using tiptronic by pressing up at the right time. Thats all it is really, just getting used to then once you know the timing I dont see why manual would give you any real advantages, although I admit its probably a bit more enjoyable to drive and I'm considering a conversion next year if its not too expensive, but not overly worried.

Basically if you think of it as when you flick the tiptronic stick up as being the same time as if you started a gear change in a manual, ie dippin the clutch, by the time either method has changed gear theres not a lot in it. As a gear change in tiptronic takes about 2 seconds in total.
Well said Rich. Thats exactly what I was going to post. When I initially got it I just couldnt get used to the tip as I felt it always changed at the wrong time and took too long or bogged the car down but playing around with it made me realise that you do need to time it with the revs.

Also the timing changes between 1st and 2nd and 2nd and 3rd. 1st to 2nd I find takes longest to change and hence need to change up slightly earlier. 2nd to 3rd is the quickest and I'm pretty sure its just a round a second to change although I havent timed it. Once you have the timing down it really is fun.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts